Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 84 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

A fair pour of some springer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392841956.326189.jpg

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Auracom View Post
    A fair pour of some springer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392841956.326189.jpg
    If I could only have one distillery to drink from, the one from Campbelltown is hard to beat...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    If I could only have one distillery to drink from, the one from Campbelltown is hard to beat...
    For me...it's Balvenie. But I have enjoyed my Springbanks as well.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    For me...it's Balvenie. But I have enjoyed my Springbanks as well.
    Fuuwaahck... I misspelled Campbeltown

It's more of a diversity play for me
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

I have to admit I can't really pin down this malt yet. There's a lot going on in the palate - tobacco, green tea, lighter peat-like phenolics, sherry qualities, a touch of sulphur, vanilla oil, and general underlying bitterness into the finish. This is all pretty well-blended and I need to work some more through this bottle to get my bearings. I see that Springbank 18 blends both sherry and bourbon. I've got a sample of that coming as well as Longrow 18 - will probably do all 3 side by side and hopefully that will help.

Connoisseur

I really need to get my hands on a bottle of Springbank CS, I've been milking the sample I received of a 14 year and it's just soooooo nice.

Connoisseur

Tom Helt was kind enough to open a Compass Box The General and let me have a pour. Here are my thoughts.

Color: DARK!

Nose: Big sweet, berry notes. Raspberries, plums, blackberries, and strawberry jam. No discernible ethanol on the nose, just a sweet, fruit mix. Lovely.

Palate: Just a massively RICH, sweet, fruity entry that transitions into strawberry jam, figs, and plums. There's a soft peppery presence on the tip of the tongue that tingles the palate. Layers continue to unfold as a soft, spicy mix makes an appearance. Mild black pepper and just a touch of cinnamon come into play. This is so drinkable and rich, it's like whisky concentrate. It coats the palate like oil and just clings on for dear life. It's sweet forward and very soft. A hint of caramel but it's buried. Excellent.

Finish: Looooooooong and sweet. Those berry, fruit notes hang on forever, it's incredible. Strawberry tart on exit.

Rating: What an outstanding malt. It's sweet, rich, viscous, and fat. Flavors just erupt on the palate and hang on for a long time. Such an easy sipper and I dig the strawberry notes. Slam dunk. Score is a 95.

Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Connoisseur

Side by side of samples of K&L Chieftans Mortlach 22 and Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 6. Two outstanding pours, very different from each other. Mortlach is deep and big, very sherry forward, savory and great neat with a long finish. Gorgeous. The Balvenie is very tight and complex, with gentle peat and flawless balance, but a little less bang than I was hoping for. Thanks to the kind SBer who helped with these pours.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Tom Helt was kind enough to open a Compass Box The General and let me have a pour. Here are my thoughts.

Color: DARK!

Nose: Big sweet, berry notes. Raspberries, plums, blackberries, and strawberry jam. No discernible ethanol on the nose, just a sweet, fruit mix. Lovely.

Palate: Just a massively RICH, sweet, fruity entry that transitions into strawberry jam, figs, and plums. There's a soft peppery presence on the tip of the tongue that tingles the palate. Layers continue to unfold as a soft, spicy mix makes an appearance. Mild black pepper and just a touch of cinnamon come into play. This is so drinkable and rich, it's like whisky concentrate. It coats the palate like oil and just clings on for dear life. It's sweet forward and very soft. A hint of caramel but it's buried. Excellent.

Finish: Looooooooong and sweet. Those berry, fruit notes hang on forever, it's incredible. Strawberry tart on exit.

Rating: What an outstanding malt. It's sweet, rich, viscous, and fat. Flavors just erupt on the palate and hang on for a long time. Such an easy sipper and I dig the strawberry notes. Slam dunk. Score is a 95.

I've been dying to try this and your review doesn't help!

John Glaser does some magical stuff with blending. I've probably gone through 12 or so bottles of Compass Box whisky (have a Great King Street NYC Blend open right now) and they never disappoint. It's hard to find better whisky at the equivalent price point.
    Justin

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    I've been dying to try this and your review doesn't help!

John Glaser does some magical stuff with blending. I've probably gone through 12 or so bottles of Compass Box whisky (have a Great King Street NYC Blend open right now) and they never disappoint. It's hard to find better whisky at the equivalent price point.
    They are indeed interesting, usually very enjoyable and usually well priced. Unfortunately this one isn't at quite the same price point!

Although for its presumed age I suppose it too is a bargain these days.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum