Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 478795969798 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgemu1 View Post
    Just found a Springbank 15 myself. I think it's an older version. The box is completely enclosed unlike the current offerings which have the see through window if I'm not mistaken. Big fan of the Islay malts. Just had a tasting with some folks with the Ardbegs I had on hand - Oogie, Corry, and Ardbog. Each one is exceptional in it's own right. Also threw in a Laddie 10 as well. I've got a couple of more Islay malts waiting in the wings - Lagavulin 12, 16, and PC10 are waiting in the wings.
    I think the window ones are just the "special releases" like the Calvados cask. The regular 10's and 15's come in enclosed boxes.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Just be careful about jumping straight from Longrow to the infamous Islay peat monsters like Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, or Caol Ila straight away (or try them at a bar/friends house first). ... If you do choose to continue your peated whisky journey, I'd suggest looking into Ardmore, Bunnahabhain, or Bruichladdich's standard bottlings (Laddie 10, 16, etc.) first.
    Coal Ila is not in the same peat/smoke class as the big three (LAL), so it may actually be a good next step after Longrow.

While Armore is a good next choice, Bunna and standard Laddies are virtually unpeated*, so they would actually be a step backwards from Longrow.

Other good choices for peat/smoke to follow Longrow would be: Talisker, Benriach (though not all of them are strongly peated), and Bowmore (also from Islay but lower peat levels similar to Caol Ila),

*the strongly peated whiskies from Bruichladdich are branded Port Charlotte (similar level to Longrow) and Octomore (much higher peat/smoke along the lines of LAL)
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Highland Park is also peated but it's a different sort of peat - it's worth exploring as HP's are typically well balanced.

+1 vote for Talisker
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Coal Ila is not in the same peat/smoke class as the big three (LAL), so it may actually be a good next step after Longrow.

While Armore is a good next choice, Bunna and standard Laddies are virtually unpeated*, so they would actually be a step backwards from Longrow.

Other good choices for peat/smoke to follow Longrow would be: Talisker, Benriach (though not all of them are strongly peated), and Bowmore (also from Islay but lower peat levels similar to Caol Ila),

*the strongly peated whiskies from Bruichladdich are branded Port Charlotte (similar level to Longrow) and Octomore (much higher peat/smoke along the lines of LAL)

Thanks for the guidance guys, Talisker is both available and cost competitive in my local shops, so that may be my next step.

I had a bottle of Corsair Triple Smoke, loved the smoky finish, so I wasn't completely unprepared.

Advanced Taster

Cracked Laphroaig Cairdeas Portwood tonight. Tasty stuff.

Connoisseur

Cheating on my annual March Irish binge with some Great Kings Street before getting the grill fired up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Connoisseur

Back with the program with a little Bushmills 16

Richard

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Back with the program with a little Bushmills 16

That's a program that I can support. Quite possible my favorite Irish out there.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    That's a program that I can support. Quite possible my favorite Irish out there.
    It's a funny one for me. I've gone through many rounds with the 16 over the years. Sometimes I love and sometimes it's just okay. Very much a mood dram for me. Yesterday it was really working!

Richard

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post

FWIW, Caol Ila is produced from malt that is peated to 35PPM, same as Lagavulin. The recent bottling of Caol Ila 12 that I have open right now is up there with Ardbeg and Laphroaig's 10 yr bottlings, which is why I included it with them. I thought perhaps they had started using more ex-Islay barrels for aging to up peat leavels in the finished product. Longrow is actually peated to as high or higher a level than any of the standard Islay bottlings (55ppm), but peat character varies widely by region, and the Springbank folks do not use Port Ellen Maltings barley (they use peat cut directly from Campbelltown according to their website). Which is why I recommended the lower peated expressions of Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain for the peat faint of heart, as they give you a small taste of Islay peat without some of the gnarlier flavors that sometimes put people off. They are both at least partially aged in casks that previously held peated whisky, and will pick up some extra character from that, as well as some peat influence from the still itself, depending on how long its been since they ran a heavily peated expression through. Normally I would recommend anyone who can handle Longrow roll right into Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Caol Ila, or Ardbeg, but I don't want to waste anyone's money if they are still hesitant. Whisk(e)y is an expensive hobby, after all . . . At any rate, no point bickering about it, as I don't think anyone would go far wrong with any of the expressions recommended in the last page or so, and absolutely agree that Highland Park and Talisker are outstanding low-medium peat expressions. If anyone wants to branch out of Scotch whisky territory, Nikka's Yoichi distillery has a somewhat similar low-medium peat character to Highland Park. The 10 and 15 year expressions are a little expensive, but 100% worth the money for the overall quality of the dram.

Anyway, just got back from an extremely stressful week of dealing with more bad news for my family, so I will probably be enjoying a few different expressions of peated whisky myself tonight.
    Eric