Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian ?

Disciple

Canadian ?

Are there any Canadian whiskeys @ 100 proof or more? Would like to try on.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Canadian ?

Canadian Club has a 100 proof version, we (in Canada) only see it in duty free outlets.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Are there any Canadian whiskeys @ 100 proof or more? Would like to try on.
    Yes, but they are bottled by American NDPs (i.e. Whistlepig).
    Canadian distilleries haven't seen the light and continue to water everything down to 80 proof (with a few exceptions at 86 and 90)

Disciple

I do love my WP. Just doesn't make any sense for the Canadians to miss out on this growing market. No way they can't be aware of it

Enthusiast

I do love my WP. Just doesn't make any sense for the Canadians to miss out on this growing market. No way they can't be aware of it

This is how one of the Canadian Whisky apologists explains it:
    Canadian whisky sales are soaring, and more and more independent bottlers are looking for casks of Canadian whisky. But don't expect small bottle runs any time soon. Unlike Scotland, where production is shared by about 100 distilleries, in Canada just 8 distilleries fill more than a quarter of a billion bottles with whisky each year. With numbers like these, the one-barrel-at-a-time model just doesn't work. Of course we can hope, but we should not hold our breath.

Of course he fails to explain that American distilleries are as big as Canadian distilleries yet find it profitable to somehow use their mega bottling halls to bottle special editions, single barrels, barrel strength, etc.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Of course he fails to explain that American distilleries are as big as Canadian distilleries yet find it profitable to somehow use their mega bottling halls to bottle special editions, single barrels, barrel strength, etc.
    Could just be that they're configured differently. I still remember first trip through Woodford (not best example i realize...but follow along) and seeing a VERY manual process. If you're a mega factory set to do huge runs with automated equipment, changeovers wouldn't be your strength. Whereas if you're BT you design the system around that.

Just a guess from a manufacturing geek.

Disciple

Being a manufacturing geek myself if you can't change your processes to accomodate changes in consumer demand you will eventually fade away. If all you are set for is eight track tapes or Beta players you're out of luck.

Virtuoso

Being a manufacturing geek myself if you can't change your processes to accomodate changes in consumer demand you will eventually fade away. If all you are set for is eight track tapes or Beta players you're out of luck.
    Agreed, except case volume is still rising even on the regular stuff up north. So a tough proposition to convince the owner to change.

We're not really talking competition with the USA products as much as we are a companion product in the marketplace. A lot of folks who'll never switch from CDN to USA and vise versa.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    Agreed, except case volume is still rising even on the regular stuff up north. So a tough proposition to convince the owner to change.
    My fellow Canadian distillers prefer to dump barrels into stainless steel tankers, sell to American NDP's at bulk prices, the American NDP's then bottle the stuff at high proof, without chill filtering, jack up the price, ship the bottles back to Canada and try to sell them to us for 2.5x the price the same juice would sell with the distiller's label. See Masterson's

It's sad to see potential profits disappearing out the Canadian economy, but perhaps worse of all is the lost opportunity for improving the overall image of Canadian whisky by not catering to the whisky nerds that are demanding: high proof/natural colour/no chill-filtering/single barrel/limited editions/etc.

Yes, the volume of (bland) Canadian whisky continues to grow, but for the most part it is all seen as bottom shelf stuff. There are hundreds of blogs talking up Scotch and American whisky. The number of blogs talking about Canadian whisky can be counted on one hand.
    Last edited by portwood; 09-24-2013 at 18:36.

Connoisseur

I made several trips up north this year for vacations and such and managed to bring back many good bottles of Canadian, all of which I wish could buy here. Many of the bottles I grabbed were due reviews in whisky advocate. Now that I've tried them I could never go back to crown royal or CC. C'mon Canada, give us the good stuff! :-P

Bottles:
    Alberta Dark Horse
    Forty Creek copper pot
    Forty Creek confederate oak
    Forty Creek port barrel
    Pike Creek port barrel 10 ( now available in us but at lower age)
    Lot 40 2012