Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian ?

Virtuoso

Re: Canadian ?

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I made several trips up north this year for vacations and such and managed to bring back many good bottles of Canadian, all of which I wish could buy here. Many of the bottles I grabbed were due reviews in whisky advocate. Now that I've tried them I could never go back to crown royal or CC. C'mon Canada, give us the good stuff! :-P

Bottles:
    Alberta Dark Horse
    Forty Creek copper pot
    Forty Creek confederate oak
    Forty Creek port barrel
    Pike Creek port barrel 10 ( now available in us but at lower age)
    Lot 40 2012
    You can actually snag "some" of those in the USA, but in a few of those cases you're paying WAY more. Forty Creek pops up the most in KY. But your point is valid, not what i'd call wide distribution.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    You can actually snag "some" of those in the USA, but in a few of those cases you're paying WAY more. Forty Creek pops up the most in KY. But your point is valid, not what i'd call wide distribution.
    Good to know, I had not seen any of them in WA and could not find them at my normal online retailers, and the reviews hinted that they were very limited. I had assumed they would be available in border cities but not in general distribution. Of course your right, even had they been available the prices were likely much better up there, even paying the Alberta taxes.

I'd like Forty Creek Copper Pot to come down since thats a "normal" release for them and not anything super limited. I'm also glad to see the Pike Creek here even though they did remove the age statement and bottle a younger juice.

Still, I've been slowly introducing my friends to Canadians and they have been pleasantly surprised after trying things like Canadian Mist and deciding they hated whiskies from north of the border. I make yearly trips up to Whistler and often camp in BC so I can often find the good stuff, it's just a shame that BC has insanely high liquor prices, even compared to WA.

Advanced Taster

Stalk and Barrel releases some of their Malt whisky at cask strength, and some at 46%. http://stalkandbarrel.com/ . Also if you haven't read Davin de Kergommeaux's book - Canadian Whisky: The Portable Expert - you should. It is very much worth reading. He's the reviewer for many of the Whisky Advocate's Canadian Whisky reviews. I confess to really, really enjoying the Pike Creek Double Barreled.

Disciple

Found the Forty Creek yesterday but it was only 80 proof and passed.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyRI View Post
    Stalk and Barrel releases some of their Malt whisky at cask strength, and some at 46%. http://stalkandbarrel.com/ . Also if you haven't read Davin de Kergommeaux's book - Canadian Whisky: The Portable Expert - you should. It is very much worth reading. He's the reviewer for many of the Whisky Advocate's Canadian Whisky reviews. I confess to really, really enjoying the Pike Creek Double Barreled.
    Cask 5 of this should be available soon stateside at a healthy 60.3%.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Cask 5 of this should be available soon stateside at a healthy 60.3%.
    I saw a bottle of the 92 proof Stalk & Barrel available locally today but didn't know they also have a CS. Sounds like 4yo-ish single barrel single malt.

Is it worth giving a try? Pretty pricey at around $70!
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 10-30-2013 at 13:55.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I saw a bottle of the 92 proof Stalk & Barrel available locally today but didn't know they also have a CS. Sounds like 4yo-ish single barrel single malt.

Is it worth giving a try? Pretty pricey at around $70!
    Details of cask #5: 3 years, 4 months
    My advice, do NOT buy unless you try.
    I have a bottle of cask #2 (also cask strength) and all I can say is .... it's YOUNG, and doesn't taste like any other malt whisky you've ever tasted. Would I buy another? not until the stuff ages considerably more.

OTOH, there are fans*, so, ymmv

*for a sampling of the fandom go to twitter and search #USATT. Yesterday a few people had a twitter tasting of 4 whiskies & the S&B was discussed first - so near the start of the string.
    Last edited by portwood; 10-30-2013 at 16:15.

Guru

Yeah, I've heard good things actually, but am naturally skeptical to pay that price for something so young. Would damned near have to try it first.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Yeah, I've heard good things actually, but am naturally skeptical to pay that price for something so young. Would damned near have to try it first.
    Just realized you quoted $70.
    Another absurdity of Ontario liquor laws. If I want a bottle I have to drive to the distillery and pay $99.95 or have it delivered and pay $117 (including s&h). The distillery ships to the USA and it sells for 30% less - after all transportation costs. F***ING absurd.

Enthusiast

Distributor for Stillwaters Stalk & Barrel claims the price in the USA will be $90.
    Attached Images Attached Images