Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White Oak

Taster

White Oak

I heard from my local store that there is a shortage of new White Oak barrels and this will drive up prices; any truth on this?

Disciple

Re: White Oak

Quote Originally Posted by Bluffhunter View Post
    I heard from my local store that there is a shortage of new White Oak barrels and this will drive up prices; any truth on this?
    Don't believe much of what comes out of your local store unless it's one of the few big players in the business. There was a blurb on Shanken and then a follow up report on Louisville TV station WHAS. It was specific to Independent Stave and Four Roses slowing down production due to barrel shortages from weather related tree harvesting problems. Remember too that anything being barreled now isn't coming out for at least 2 and more probably a minimum of 4 years.

http://www.whas11.com/news/Kentucky-...235148981.html
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

I must be missing something - does Independent Stave age the wood after harvested, or is it immediately kiln-dried and sent into the barrel production process? Even if that were the case, for some temporary harvesting constraints to immediately affect barrel production would mean they run pretty lean raw material inventory stocks. Maybe that is so ...
    Mark

Guru

I don't think we're facing a barrel shortage but it makes a good story.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

I heard that people were lining up to get the few allocated new barrels and then there was a fist fight in the parking lot. People started reselling for double on craigslist and the barrel fever went even higher when word got out someone smuggled barrels from the warehouse. You know these are the last remaining superb barrels and new production won't be as good, so if you don't get yours now....

Connoisseur

My understanding is that air-dried lumber for barrel making is rather more expensive (since it takes so much longer, though many feel it makes better barrels for aging Bourbon). However, the making of barrels from kiln-dried lumber is considerably easier to schedule since the makers have control of the readiness of the wood, and can predict inventories, and match such with production schedules.
    Just my take from what I've heard and read.

Guru

So, they don't have the good stuff because of the barrel shortage but have a shelf full of these NEW brands.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bluffhunter View Post
    Assuming a new barrel costs about $250 and, after the angels' share, yields about 250 bottles the barrel portion of the price of bourbon is about a buck. (Yes, I know there is much less bourbon after 18 years than after 6.) If new barrels doubled in price, that would still represent a relatively small portion of the total cost. Considering the enormous contribution of charred new oak barrels to the beauty of a great bourbon, even this cheap old geezer thinks it's still a bargain. (Just don't interpret that as permission to raise prices.)
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    So, they don't have the good stuff because of the barrel shortage but have a shelf full of these NEW brands.
    maybe the lesser brands are reusing the barrels.....

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    maybe the lesser brands are reusing the barrels.....
    That would be scandalous (and illegal) if sold as bourbon out of used cooperage.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?