Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 133 of 245 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2447
    Enthusiast

Re: What bourbon are you drinking - Fall 2013

I went camping Saturday night - a bit chilly here in Wisconsin, but a clear starry night, a roaring campfire and a bottle of Bourye warmed things up.

Had never had the Bourye before, but the label said it was best enjoyed in front of a campfire looking up at the Milky Way, so what better time to open it? We have to believe the label, right? Thought it was delicious, a nice bourbon sweetness mixed with some rye kick, yet altogether smooth. My buddies, far less the bourbon enthusiasts than I, all liked it a lot as well.

Connoisseur

Had some EC BP last night with AAA as a chaser. The finish on the EC is so long it lasted through the AAA. Best boilermaker I ever had!
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Just a side note on that Graham distillery and mods feel free to set up new thread if we are too far afield now, but the threads my attention was drawn to state "Pre-Pro Graham" (started by Jono). In fact what this Ren bottle shows is, the distillery was active after Prohibition as well. Liquor distilled in the 30's was being bottled mid-war. Perhaps by then the distillery had converted to alcohol production for the war effort. Those threads speculate whether a distillery in Rockford fit this bill but it wasn't clear if it was Graham or another one called possibly Belvedere.

What I find interesting is, we have a taste note that suggests this is a very tasty, impactful product, something anyone would give their eye teeth for today, yet it was produced by an unsung distillery in a region fairly distant from Kentucky.

Perhaps the revival of craft distilling will lead to this state of affairs again as the Squire was bruiting but somehow I don't think it will. This is not because they don't have the means to make a product as remarkable. It is because their attention seems diverted to all kinds of (sorry) flash and froth such as white whiskey, flavoured whisky, whiskey made with non-traditional grains, and of course numerous non-whiskey products. Nothing wrong with this as such but from a bourbon and straight rye standpoint we are surely in a different place than the pre-pro tax listing of distilleries Jono I believe linked which showed hundreds of distilleries across the distilling belt (and beyond) and these guys made bourbon, rye and of course blended whiskey which is traditional too but was basically bourbon or rye + GNS (or green whiskey). Sure the odd one made gin likely or liqueurs but America was a whiskey-drinking country then, is my point. That has changed in a fundamental way since then, IMO.

Gary

Enthusiast

My hope is that the craft distillers will be turning out good 8 year old products when they are 8+ years old. In the short term they have to make vodka, white lightning, flavored beverages, and oddball concoctions to differentiate themselves from other young whiskeys. Being an optimist I like to think that these craft distillers got into the business because they like bourbon , hopefully they remember that as they develop.

Guru

Before I'm seen as painting with a broad stroke let me add that by Micros I mean folks like Todd Leopold, Tom McKenzie, Balcones, Smooth Ambler and others cut from that cloth. Craftsmen who openly post here about what they are doing and why, using the traditional classics as a template and creating their own interpretation. Just like the original founders, the Dants, Beams, Medleys, Stitzels, Taylor, Daniel and others who made the same thing but in their own way.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I hope the Doc is right and no question Todd, Tom and the others mentioned will in time produce fine straight bourbon or rye.

But in the heyday America had hundreds and hundreds of distillers. There was so much rye, so much bourbon, not all great but you couldn't get away with selling anything inferior under that name except in times of shortage. They all had to work hard to create a good marketable product and we know the general standard was high - the competition surely created it. Many here still remember the tail-end of the era or have tasted dusties which show the proof.

I'm with both of you, I hope the era recurs, but somehow...

Gary

P.S. I fully understand the rationale to produce white whiskey, vodka, gin. I am not knocking it but I offer what can only be the personal opinion that as soon as practicable producers should minimize these in favour of fully aged products. I believe this is in their own interest as I doubt a permanent market can be created for a white whiskey, for example, that has a highly congeneric taste. Corn whiskey was like that and in the pre-craft era it had very small sales.

Guru

Good thoughts guys, let's continue this in a new thread I've started, Of Micros and Men.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santana View Post
    I went camping Saturday night - a bit chilly here in Wisconsin, but a clear starry night, a roaring campfire and a bottle of Bourye warmed things up.
    Tony, where are you located in WI? I'm in Milwaukee.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you are ever around the area. Milwaukee needs more bourbon enthusiasts!
    Tyler

Long day at work. Typical Monday. Snow on the ground when I left work to come home. I ain't ready for this crap! A nice pour of AA BIB was just the ticket to set things right when I got home.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Some WT101 which is really hitting the spot this lovely Monday evening
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins