Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 146 of 245 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 2447
    Virtuoso

Re: What bourbon are you drinking - Fall 2013

Continuing the ETL trend, but going for the 15yr version. Bottle running perilously low.

Never meet the man, but awed by his legacy every time I think about his conibutions.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Advanced Taster

W12. Its been awhile but always good.

Taster

It's been a Four Roses night while watching hockey and football. SmB, LE SB '12 love the OESK, then gift shop OBSK which is also fantastic. Now a nice pour of the Schneider's picked SB. Never had a disappointing glass of FR.
    -Pete

Virtuoso

Have some more FRSBLE13 on the way, so I thought I'd have a pour to confirm that decision. Holy confirmation, Batman.

Advanced Taster

So I pulled out 2 bottles I hadn't opened yet and tried them side by side. On purpose I pulled out a wheater (Weller 12) and a higher rye bourbon (Russell's Reserve 10yr) to compare, taste and explore. I'm still new to all of this so myself and my palate is trying to figure all this out. After tasting both neat, I came to find I liked them both. Once I put a cube in the Weller 12, I preferred it but also still liked the WTRR...is that odd? Do most people definitely fall on one side vs. the other when it comes to wheaters vs non-wheaters?

Just curious.

Guru

...ask that guy that posted above you what he thinks...

Edit: I'll answer for him. It's ALL good. I think most of us like ryed and wheated bourbons since most of us have open and curious minds. We may typically prefer one over the other, but I don't think any of us will turn our noses up at something just because of it's mashbill.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 11-14-2013 at 19:34.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by FlounderinDC View Post
    Do most people definitely fall on one side vs. the other when it comes to wheaters vs non-wheaters?
    I'm only one man and cannot speak for others. However, I've purchased a few wheated bourbons over the past few years (I'm new to the bourbon game) and they've never impressed me much. I definitely seem to prefer high rye bourbons and rye whiskeys. So yesterday, I completed a blind tasting of wheated bourbon at home. Sampled Weller Antique 107 NAS, Weller 12, Old Rip Van Winkle, and Larceny. I tried to choose a favorite and identify each bourbon. Long story short, I realized I couldn't identify a winner because none of the four did a thing for me--all came across simple, flat and sharp in flavor. So that's it, I've thrown in the towel on wheated bourbons. Figure I'll save the bottles for mixing with Coke.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    ...ask that guy that posted above you what he thinks...

Edit: I'll answer for him. It's ALL good. I think most of us like ryed and wheated bourbons since most of us have open and curious minds. We may typically prefer one over the other, but I don't think any of us will turn our noses up at something just because of it's mashbill.
    Yep, well said. I love them both, which one I drink just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Taster

Smooth Ambler Single Barrel #92 Hand Selected Old Scout Straight Bourbon - Cask strength 122.8 proof, 8 year old

image.jpgPicked the bottle up on my last trip to Milwaukee and just got around to opening it up. Really good stuff! First time I had seen Old Scout and this was the middle age of the three kinds they had. I might have to find another bottle.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the feedback guys.