Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 147 of 245 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 2447
    Guru

Re: What bourbon are you drinking - Fall 2013

The fact I prefer one style doesn't mean I dislike the other, just a preference. I don't particularly care for rum raisin ice cream either but know someone who dotes on it.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    MIL visiting. Starting early.

EWSB 02 in glass. Need more, much more....

That's funny! my MIL would pull up a chair and have a drink with you, wine of course, but still....a fun woman.

The ex-MIL though.....or, more appropriately, the ex FIL.....would make you want to drink and then do things that would put you away for a long time...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOakMonster View Post
    I'm only one man and cannot speak for others. However, I've purchased a few wheated bourbons over the past few years (I'm new to the bourbon game) and they've never impressed me much. I definitely seem to prefer high rye bourbons and rye whiskeys. So yesterday, I completed a blind tasting of wheated bourbon at home. Sampled Weller Antique 107 NAS, Weller 12, Old Rip Van Winkle, and Larceny. I tried to choose a favorite and identify each bourbon. Long story short, I realized I couldn't identify a winner because none of the four did a thing for me--all came across simple, flat and sharp in flavor. So that's it, I've thrown in the towel on wheated bourbons. Figure I'll save the bottles for mixing with Coke.

I agree. But, there are a number of people on here that will be your enemy for saying such things and disagreeing with their 'right' way of enjoying a bourbon.

Find what you like and drink it! Try something outside your routine regularly...but there's nothing wrong with knowing what you like and sticking to it.

Guru

left the hospital with another classmate and we went out for a drink and dinner at one of the local bars. This place is known for large cheap pours. I asked if they had any Willett other than the potstill, and they said no. Then I asked if they had any Dickel, as I've been wanting to try the Dickel 12, and they didnt have that either. They had most anything else you could think of though. So, I just had a neat pour of Booker's, probably a 3oz pour, for $6.75. Cant beat that!

Though Booker's is my usual favorite, tonight it was all hot and just a little sweet. I did get the last pour of the bottle though, and with the kind of place this is, I dont imagine they move much Booker's.....so Im chalking it up to an old pour.

Virtuoso

Next up is a standard OWA. My SB blends have really ruined the component whiskies for me. This is perfectly acceptable bourbon, but as someone mentioned above, it's simple and sharp.

Enthusiast

the last of a bottle of four roses single barrel with friends.

Taster

This Elijah Craig single barrel... damn good stuff.

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by dreasoner View Post
    Smooth Ambler Single Barrel #92 Hand Selected Old Scout Straight Bourbon - Cask strength 122.8 proof, 8 year old

Attachment 16879
    Had some of this last night, pretty decent bourbon but not my favorite Old Scout. For me it needs a splash of water to bring out the goods. The store I bought it from still had a few bottles as of last week, but I'm not sure yet if I'll pick up any more. Cask strength and 8yrs for $46 makes it attractive so I'll have to drink some more and see how things go.
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Virtuoso

Finishing out with a Fitz BIB. Tons of HH "funk". Their house style might be the single most identifiable to me. Well, maybe second to FR. More enjoyable this evening than the OWA, but that comes and goes.

Virtuoso

Started out with some SB Blend and moved on to PHC 6th. The PHC is just hitting me square with the wheated profile. I swear tonight it's coming off as a barrel-proof Old Fitz and I'm loving it!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

125th four roses. It's all I ever drink these days. :smile:
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden