Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 21 of 245 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What bourbon are you drinking - Fall 2013

Tossed some Barton in the coffee this morning.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Opened a bottle of OFBB 2009 that I had in the "bunker." Various reviews say this is either one of the worst bourbons of all time or one of the best. I poured a small sample half expecting to spit it out, but actually it wasn't bad at all. Definitely has that BF taste profile which apparently I like (even though I don't like WR). Not something I'll be drinking daily but certainly one that I will finish out the bottle.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    Opened a bottle of OFBB 2009 that I had in the "bunker." Various reviews say this is either one of the worst bourbons of all time or one of the best. I poured a small sample half expecting to spit it out, but actually it wasn't bad at all. Definitely has that BF taste profile which apparently I like (even though I don't like WR). Not something I'll be drinking daily but certainly one that I will finish out the bottle.
    Interesting. I'm a huge fan of the '10, '12, and '13. I've had '09 in the bunker for exactly the same reason. Like you, I enjoy OF but could live without another sip of WR. I'm going to pop open my '09 right now!

Virtuoso

Talking Re: What bourbon are you drinking - Fall 2013

First pour of AAA in a few weeks is going down very well...

Virtuoso

Moved on to the 4RSB (BS OBSQ) I just purchased today. Tasting notes? I will simply say that this is a lady worthy of my time and discretion.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Some recent acquisitions/tastings (all current stock):

Old Pogue: nice nose, body on the light side, clean flavours, hard to pin down source, earlier bottles suggested Beam to me but not this one. Slight barnyard in aftertaste. Solid performer.

Old Weller 107: This is a rare single barrel, selected by Astor in New York. Nice appley notes, typical 107 palate with caramel and light smoke. Good but not as good as a barrel proof sample that some good guys brought to Sampler last year - that was deeper, creamier, more toffee.

High West Blend of Straight Bourbons. This is the one that combines a 6 year MGPI and 10 year Four Roses. Excellent product, the body is heavy, sweet, aromatic. Shows the virtues of good vatting, ahem.

Gary

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Some recent acquisitions/tastings (all current stock):

Old Pogue: nice nose, body on the light side, clean flavours, hard to pin down source, earlier bottles suggested Beam to me but not this one. Slight barnyard in aftertaste. Solid performer.

Old Weller 107: This is a rare single barrel, selected by Astor in New York. Nice appley notes, typical 107 palate with caramel and light smoke. Good but not as good as a barrel proof sample that some good guys brought to Sampler last year - that was deeper, creamier, more toffee.

High West Blend of Straight Bourbons. This is the one that combines a 6 year MGPI and 10 year Four Roses. Excellent product, the body is heavy, sweet, aromatic. Shows the virtues of good vatting, ahem.

Gary
    In honor of missing your presence at KBF, Gary, I purchased an Old Forester Signature over at Liquor World because the bottle you had in the spring impressed me as quite tasty. Glad to report it still is impressive. I was at the Chicago Indie Spirits Expo last week and had plenty of craft spirit pours and not a one really can come close to the taste of what can be had for a whopping $19. Now I know that Old Forester Signature may be a more polarizing whiskey than the EC line and going to cost you a few bucks more than the Barton and HH BIBs...but I'm all about variety in whiskey even at the lower end and especially when it comes with this kind of quality. Heck I may even keep this bottle when empty as Chris Morris personally autographed it .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

Monday Night Football, Saints vs. Dolphins.

4R1BLE 2013 neat, OFBB 2011 with a cube, OWA with a cube.

Life on the couch is good tonight.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Heck I may even keep this bottle when empty as Chris Morris personally autographed it.
    Just refill it, not everybody has a Chris Morris autographed decanter.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

FR Single Barrel Select while catching up on Homeland.