Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 226 of 245 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 2447
    Enthusiast

Re: What bourbon are you drinking - Fall 2013

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch. I have previously liked this before and think this is the best looking bottle in the biz, but I am really loving this stuff right now. PA had a 1 day sale of this stuff at $25 and I am now wishing I picked up at least half a case of this stuff. BIB around 7 year old juice on the higher racks in the warehouse? Sign me up. It has a really nice old school barnyard must, butterscotch and cherry bourbon flavor. Really starting to love it.
    Probably mostly on SB, but I've really been hearing great things about the EHT SmB lately. It's about $36 by me, so not cheap per se, but not terribly expensive for what sounds like a really nice bourbon. It kind of flies under the radar compared to its bigger brothers in the EHT line, and the bigger names in the BT family. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm sure I will soon.

Disciple

Last evening started with a Mellow Corn eggnog, then OFFBB13 (this bottle is just sooo good), and finished the evening with OGD114. The later went great with the rib eye and baked potatoe off of the grill. This morning having the MC with coffee, yum!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    Probably mostly on SB, but I've really been hearing great things about the EHT SmB lately. It's about $36 by me, so not cheap per se, but not terribly expensive for what sounds like a really nice bourbon. It kind of flies under the radar compared to its bigger brothers in the EHT line, and the bigger names in the BT family. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm sure I will soon.
    Dissenting opinion: the store-picked Buffalo Trace bottle I have is much tastier than the EHT side-by-side (proofed to be equal) and it tasted like harsh firewater compared to some other things we had open the other night, including 4R Small Batch and OFBB13.

Enthusiast

Good to know Suntour. I have a couple of different BT single barrel selects at home, and they are very nice. Also have plenty of ETL, and a couple bottles of Stagg Jr. So I'll think a bit more before I pick up the EHT.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    That's a very impressive flight. When or if you are inclined to tell us which you preferred and why that would be cool. You don't have to rank all of them (unless you feel compelled to) but maybe your top 5 or 10 would be nice. Thanks.

Edit: ...also were you impressed or disappointed with any in particular?
    Top 5 in a loose order of rank:

PHC 6th - I love the vanilla bean and caramel in this, thick mouthfeel, easiest barrel proof to drink neat
    PVW15 - Great pour all around, though one thing PVW15 does better than anything else is the smell of the empty glass.
    ECBP - Has it all, such a complete pour
    Michter's 20 - Deceivingly good, almost creamy
    FRLESB SmB 2013 - Did not enjoy the finish on this as much as I wanted, but it's a recently opened bottle and I expect it to tame down and lose the astringency.

Honorable mention

SB blend - Stands up well to the big hitters
    Glenmorangie Ealanta - Doesn't wow, but is a great "crossover whisky" between bourbon and scotch
    WLW - Always yum

Disappointment

Old Medley 12 (forgot to list that one) - Thin, boring and hot
    Noah's Mill - Underdeveloped flavors for supposedly a close-to-15 year
    Elijah Craig 21 - A good pour, but for the price and my love of EC I wanted this to be better

Connoisseur

Having some current WTRB with a big cube. Even after all the old WT I've had recently, this stuff is still very good

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    Top 5 in a loose order of rank:

PHC 6th - I love the vanilla bean and caramel in this, thick mouthfeel, easiest barrel proof to drink neat
    PVW15 - Great pour all around, though one thing PVW15 does better than anything else is the smell of the empty glass.
    ECBP - Has it all, such a complete pour
    Michter's 20 - Deceivingly good, almost creamy
    FRLESB SmB 2013 - Did not enjoy the finish on this as much as I wanted,
    Thanks for the note.

Was the Michter's 20 from this year or previous?

Enthusiast

GBS-EC15 as my first pour tonight. Perfect tonic for a rainy awful day in ATL.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Advanced Taster

Last night for a friend's 40th bday: Dickel 9/103; old WSR 7; intermission of Chimays Blue & Red, then Maredsous 8 & 10; ORVW 10/107 (sharing mine w/ my friend, as he'd never had it); Corazon ORVW (overpriced? sure; but tasty? very).

Tonight: nothing; recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    $36?! mbn. its $112 by my way!