Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 37 of 245 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What bourbon are you drinking - Fall 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RT Fan View Post
    A healthy pour of Weller 12, neat. Not quite sure why this bourbon gets mixed reviews here on SB, I think it is mighty tasty. I will be buying more of this as my bottle runs down. An excellent QPR bottling.
    Stick around long enough RT and you will see just about every whiskey get mixed reviews here. Don't believe in any SB consensus...other than getting together twice a year in Kentucky. Glad you like it. My own specific mixed review is that sometime after 2008 bottlings it became slightly more sooty, thin, even wood astringent and this all having no place to hide because of its lower proof and wheat soft profile.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RT Fan View Post
    A healthy pour of Weller 12, neat. Not quite sure why this bourbon gets mixed reviews here on SB, I think it is mighty tasty. I will be buying more of this as my bottle runs down. An excellent QPR bottling.
    Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Stick around long enough RT and you will see just about every whiskey get mixed reviews here. Don't believe in any SB consensus...other than getting together twice a year in Kentucky. Glad you like it. My own specific mixed review is that sometime after 2008 bottlings it became slightly more sooty, thin, even wood astringent and this all having no place to hide because of its lower proof and wheat soft profile.
    While I agree with Thad about W12, I think we are the only two active members who feel that way. The vast majority of SBers enjoy W12 very much. You are in good company RT-fan.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    While I agree with Thad about W12, I think we are the only two active members who feel that way. The vast majority of SBers enjoy W12 very much. You are in good company RT-fan.
    Wake up your memory Joe, we talked about this at PG..

I agree totally what Thad said about W12. My first try of this bourbon, was in Houston probably 4 yrs ago. Really disappointed, found it sooty, and astringent. Still do. I do buy it regularly though, for the SB blend
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Guru

I like it, but not nearly as much as I once did. Definitely best served in the SB Blend.

Apprentice

I have been off the bourbon wagon for a while, but now that the weather is cooling off I am getting back on. So to celebrate a crappy Monday I am having a little ORVW10/107. Love this stuff...

Guru

Snap, Phil! I forgot about that. I guess I'll just have another mind eraser...I mean pour of 4R to forget about what I forgot.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

I just had a small pour from my very first batch of the SB blend which I made at a 50/50 ratio. It's only been "marrying" for about a week so it needs more time but so far I'm impressed. I may have to order a few more bottles of W12 to make sure I have sufficient stock!

Guru

So far 4 pours of 4FRSmb, alternator and battery died on SUV this morning, not a good start to the work week.

I guess I'll have to start chiming in here, being that I drink a few glasses (only a 1/3 full!) of bourbon EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! Never the same one twice. Tonight I started with a nice pour of EHTBP that I just picked up. A strong one at 135.4 proof, but damn good and damn smooth after a few drops of water. A nice, thick, chewy finish. Really like it. Now, at the other end of the proof spectrum, I am sipping some Watkins Select. Another one that has a pleasant finish. I like this stuff. Ok, gotta' get back to drinkin'.

Connoisseur

I'm having a mind eraser, a good suggestion from my Houston bud Joe. .
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...