Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 45 of 245 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What bourbon are you drinking - Fall 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I really want someone else to chime in. The two blog reviews I've read both enjoyed it very much. I thought last year was just fine, even though it was considered a dog by many. I'm not usually an ultra critical drinker, one who can find plenty to enjoy in just about anything. I really hate being one of just a very few voices on this one, especially when I don't have much nice to say at the moment.
    That's ok, if I pass on it and later taste it only to find it's marvelous, I'll just have to hunt you down. I'm sure some of that ultra-aged grain whisky will make me feel a little better...

I skipped last year's GTS because the '11 disappointed me compared to the '10. I made the right choice last year because I really liked the WLW, much more than the '11. I actually haven't found much love for a lot of the BT products lately. I'm always a sucker for aged rye though, so I might just have to grab a Saz18 (if I get to one in time).
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I really want someone else to chime in. The two blog reviews I've read both enjoyed it very much. I thought last year was just fine, even though it was considered a dog by many. I'm not usually an ultra critical drinker, one who can find plenty to enjoy in just about anything. I really hate being one of just a very few voices on this one, especially when I don't have much nice to say at the moment.
    I found that the GTS 13 needs a touch of water to be its best for me despite starting at a lower proof. Two other people tasting it with me felt the same way. Perhaps 8 drops will prove to be just what you need! My comparison bottle is the 142.6 proof 2011 GTS which I find to be better neat than the 2013 although I typically add a bit of water to that as well.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

I've found that BTACS aren't available in New Mexico

Taster

tonight it is Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 year

Enthusiast

Just finishing a pour of Russell's Reserve SB. Not sure what the next one will be.

Novice

Drinking some High West American Prairie tonight.

Advanced Taster

Tore it up tonight - Pappy 15, WSR (S-W juice), OWA (2005), Old Forester BB 2013...

Guru

ORVW107 and WLW13. I'm giving it to the Rip. There's good on the Weller. I can feel it. But it takes time and patience I don't have tonight to get it there.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Finishing up a really great evening with a neat pour of Bowman Last Millenium. I have generally found the older 14 yearish Bowman's to be entirely too hot and astringent to my liking, but this bottle is settling in nicely with me. Big oakiness, for sure. But, not as uncomfortable as the others. I am finding this bottle to be quite enjoyable.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Finishing up a really great evening with a neat pour of Bowman Last Millenium. I have generally found the older 14 yearish Bowman's to be entirely too hot and astringent to my liking, but this bottle is settling in nicely with me. Big oakiness, for sure. But, not as uncomfortable as the others. I am finding this bottle to be quite enjoyable.
    I may be the biggest fan of this on the board. It is a really fantastically constructed whiskey, and upon proper scrutiny it really blows John J. Out of the water with complexity and drinkability.

Tonight I'm continuing the Stagg 2013 experiment, and by GEORGE I think we may have it. 1.5 oz. in the glass, 6 drops of water. Let it mingle with water and air for 15 minutes and I'm finally seeing Stagg like I should. Leather, cloves, dark chocolate, wasabi, wax and wood. I'm so damn excited to be having a good experience, so disregard my enthusiasm for today. But it does seem like this guy may not be a lost cause.