Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Old Weller - The Original 107 Proof - 1989 Bottled Flask?

Has anyone else seen these recently? I was just able to purchase one from my local shop and they said it was just the like green cap flasks from 1992 that were for sale earlier this year. The bottles were extremely dusty, which makes me believe that they might actually be that old.

Thoughts?

IMG_0615.jpg

Guru

Re: Old Weller - The Original 107 Proof - 1989 Bottled Flask?

Label looks correct and they're not valuable enough to fake, I think.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Definitely not a fake. They may be dusties, but there's also a chance they might not be quite as old as you think.

I believe that after the change to the new label, and loss of the age statement on the 750 ml bottling back in late 2009/early 2010, BT may have had some leftover paper labels for their 375 ml bottles of OWA. I purchased a couple of these very same bottles in September of 2012, and I know of at least a couple of other members who found some this past year. I also saw more on the shelf at a store in Bardstown this past spring. It could also be that some distributors still have a few of these sitting around in their warehouses, and they're now trying to purge their older stock. I've seen this before. It's still good bourbon. As long as the price hasn't been jacked up, buy 'em, open 'em and enjoy.

Also FWIW, there are rumors that the 375 ml size of OWA, and a few others, may be discontinued in the near future. But for now, the BT website still shows the 375 ml size of OWA available. With the old style paper label no less.

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

My guess is that it is from the mid to late 90's. My oldest bottling of this OWA 375 ml is from '03 and it has Frankfort on the label and nothing handwritten in the No___ field. Great find! I just really like the label and sleek bottle design. I know of 2 more from '06 sitting on a shelf, I should probably pick them up before trey disappear!

Connoisseur

I recently bought 12 OWA age stated bottles but the No_____ section was empty and had a web site. The bottling code had a '08 stamp on it. These are at least prior to the web site. Anyone know when they started the bottling codes on the bottles at BT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the bottling code is actually raised in the glass on the bottom of the bottle, then this one is from 96.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TL2000 View Post
    If the bottling code is actually raised in the glass on the bottom of the bottle, then this one is from 96.
    Winner Winner Chicken dinner! You will enjoy that bottle...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TL2000 View Post
    Bottling code on glass means that the bottle was made in '96. They have a supply of bottles that could last years. I think my bottle had 98 on it. The bottling code is written in small font on back of bottle. Always very hard to read. It is a numerical code that will have day of year, year and time of bottling. If I can get a picture of mine when I get home tomorrow I will send along. The only thing you know for sure it was bottled after '96 (bottle production date). My guess these are from the '90's to very early 2000's. They would have gone to the labels with the web site later in the 2000's. Either way, there will be some good whiskey inside. The ones I had from '08 are very good. Buy hell, I love OWA anyway it comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

That is the real deal from Louisville, with a 96 on the bottom and with the hand-written number in the "No._____" field on the upper left area of the label. All the 375ml bottles to this day have the "No._____" field on the upper left of the label (unlike the bigger bottles that dropped that off around 2003), but only the Louisville ones (and every Louisville I've ever seen) had numbers written in by hand there. If you compare that bottle closely with a later Frankfort bottle, you will also notice that it's shaped differently, it's a little fatter and the shoulders are a little rounder. You have some good whiskey there, some of my very favorite of all time.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Definitely not a fake. They may be dusties, but there's also a chance they might not be quite as old as you think.

I believe that after the change to the new label, and loss of the age statement on the 750 ml bottling back in late 2009/early 2010, BT may have had some leftover paper labels for their 375 ml bottles of OWA. I purchased a couple of these very same bottles in September of 2012, and I know of at least a couple of other members who found some this past year. I also saw more on the shelf at a store in Bardstown this past spring. It could also be that some distributors still have a few of these sitting around in their warehouses, and they're now trying to purge their older stock. I've seen this before. It's still good bourbon. As long as the price hasn't been jacked up, buy 'em, open 'em and enjoy.

Also FWIW, there are rumors that the 375 ml size of OWA, and a few others, may be discontinued in the near future. But for now, the BT website still shows the 375 ml size of OWA available. With the old style paper label no less.

Joe
    Joe,
    Did the ones you found have Louisville on the label, or Frankfort? I've never seen a Louisville bottle of OWA without hand-written numbers in that upper left field on the label. If BT did in fact re-use some old Louisville labels on some 375ml bottles, one way I think to be sure if they are the real deal is by bottle shape, the genuine Louisville 375ml bottles were slightly fatter with slightly rounder shoulders, maybe hard to notice though unless directly comparing with a later bottle. IMO it's very doubtful that an old 375ml Louisville label would be re-used and also be paired with the old-style 'fatter' 375ml bottle and also have the No.______ field filled in with a hand-written number.
    Last edited by gblick; 12-23-2013 at 00:08.