Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 59 of 149 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2013

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I am really loving on the '13 4RSmB. Luckily, the Monger was able to hook me up with 6.
    I want to be like Joe when I grow up.

Sipping on some 4RSB and I really like it. I'm not a huge fan of straight rye (so far), but I really like high rye bourbons. Hell, I like wheaters a lot, too.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I am really loving on the '13 4RSmB. Luckily, the Monger was able to hook me up with 6.
    Nice work. No doubt that was his whole allocation. Cleaned em out! I'm trying to run through my first bottle ASAP. Just to piss off the bourbon gods.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Advanced Taster

Found one bottle of Handy at one store and another bottle of Handy and one of their other locations. After getting home I say the proofs were different. Seems I got a 2013 and a 2011? This is no the type of place were the 11 would be sitting around for 2 years. Has anyone else had ths happen?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bjhowell View Post
    Found one bottle of Handy at one store and another bottle of Handy and one of their other locations. After getting home I say the proofs were different. Seems I got a 2013 and a 2011? This is no the type of place were the 11 would be sitting around for 2 years. Has anyone else had ths happen?

I have found older BTAC releases but not in the sense that they are an older bottle, somehow held for a few years, and put out the same time as another years release.

Side note, I much preferred the 11' Handy release to the 12' and have not acquired a 13' yet.

I dont have the greatest memory on specific tasting notes, but I remember the 11' gave me a much warmer mouth feeling, smoother, and more flavorful, compared to the 12'. I would drink the 11' neat but add a few cubes to the 12'.

Enthusiast

two bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Strength, one for me, one for a friend. This is the batch two stuff (137 proof) and the store had 12 bottles!

bjhowell, i've got a store close to me that has had handy on the shelf for the past 3 years. same store that i purchased two larue wellers in 2011. the wellers were from 2006.

Enthusiast

I picked up my first ever bottle of Elijah Craig 12YO/94.

Charming. Moreish. Weighty, perhaps even oily. One of those where it's very dry your first taste of it, and then it blooms into a gentle low-key sweetness. Not a bourbon I'd partake of every day with its $33 price tag, but definitely one I like well enough to keep around. Hard to describe the aftertaste but I enjoy it.

The label has a blurb on it about a special yeast recipe that's been a family secret for generations, which makes me wonder if HH sent samples of their liquid yeast to a yeast house to have it perpetuated specifically for them in dried form. I figured that if they were using dried yeast they simply bought something available to the wholesale trade, but perhaps they contract to have Earl Beam's historic strain provided for them in dried fashion.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    This could be my best two day haul ever. Lots of driving involved, but very happy with the results. Especially the Knob Creek 50ml.

Attachment 16791
    WOW!! Nice day's work.
    That wouldn't happen around Chicago.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    I picked up my first ever bottle of Elijah Craig 12YO/94.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post

Charming. Moreish. Weighty, perhaps even oily. One of those where it's very dry your first taste of it, and then it blooms into a gentle low-key sweetness. Not a bourbon I'd partake of every day with its $33 price tag, but definitely one I like well enough to keep around. Hard to describe the aftertaste but I enjoy it.

The label has a blurb on it about a special yeast recipe that's been a family secret for generations, which makes me wonder if HH sent samples of their liquid yeast to a yeast house to have it perpetuated specifically for them in dried form. I figured that if they were using dried yeast they simply bought something available to the wholesale trade, but perhaps they contract to have Earl Beam's historic strain provided for them in dried fashion.

one of my all time favorites right there. It's priced a little better out here I guess, always in the mid 20's. I've had standard offering and several privately selected barrels and I've never been disappointed. solid.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    WOW!! Nice day's work.
    That wouldn't happen around Chicago.
    Negative Ghostrider... think closer to me ;-)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof