Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 78 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Not talking about the rye. The bourbon. You're chasing the 6-9 year Willett now with no idea what it will taste like. ECBP round 2.
    To add to this, while i've had some awesome Willett, each batch is at the least a different barrel if not distillery. So what you tasted at KBF is likely long gone.

Connoisseur

Stopped in a 'new' store near the office (old place filed for bankruptcy, new place bought it out, re-did the interior, etc.). Passed on Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Russell's Reserve at $30... also passed on a bottle High West Campfire...

Quote Originally Posted by jwacky View Post
    Stopped in a 'new' store near the office (old place filed for bankruptcy, new place bought it out, re-did the interior, etc.). Passed on Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Russell's Reserve at $30... also passed on a bottle High West Campfire...
    I'd buy both of those Turkeys all day long at that price.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I'd buy both of those Turkeys all day long at that price.
    I will certainly buy them there in the future at that price - just wasn't prepared to spend, haha. I'd already made a couple other purchases elsewhere, figured it wasn't a 'need'. Not that any of it is ever a 'need', but you know how it is...

Virtuoso

Passed on 2013 OFBB for $60. Seriously??? $20-$25 increase in price over three years for a mostly mediocre release that can best be complimented by remarking upon its unique profile. It's interesting that this annual release has become more sought after as the price has gone up. Then again, maybe it's just the truth that everything has become more sought after over the past three years, price increase or not.

I'll admit I've had some vintages over the years that I've really enjoyed, but the $25-$40 price tag was a significant contributor to my enjoyment of them.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Passed on 2013 OFBB for $60. Seriously??? $20-$25 increase in price over three years for a mostly mediocre release that can best be complimented by remarking upon its unique profile. It's interesting that this annual release has become more sought after as the price has gone up. Then again, maybe it's just the truth that everything has become more sought after over the past three years, price increase or not.

I'll admit I've had some vintages over the years that I've really enjoyed, but the $25-$40 price tag was a significant contributor to my enjoyment of them.
    I don't claim to have any sort of seasoned palate for whiskey. I know what I like when I like it, I know when I feel justified for spending what I did on a particular bottle or when I feel like I spent a bit too much for what I got. I'm working on the palate part of it, but from what I've had of the OFBB13, I like it at $37 that it's selling for here compared to other things I can get at that price. Definitely different from the 'usual' suspects in my liquor cabinet - the BTs and Dickels and EW BiBs of the world. There are other things I'd buy if it was going for $60.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jwacky View Post
    I don't claim to have any sort of seasoned palate for whiskey. I know what I like when I like it, I know when I feel justified for spending what I did on a particular bottle or when I feel like I spent a bit too much for what I got. I'm working on the palate part of it, but from what I've had of the OFBB13, I like it at $37 that it's selling for here compared to other things I can get at that price. Definitely different from the 'usual' suspects in my liquor cabinet - the BTs and Dickels and EW BiBs of the world. There are other things I'd buy if it was going for $60.
    I'd very likely give it a try for $37. The 2010 was $40 around here, and I really liked it for that price, though retasting it recently I've found that it's not as pleasing to me now as it was then. The last one I bought was 2011 for $45 or $50. I didn't much care for it so passing on the 2012 for $55 was easy. This year, $60 is an even easier pass for me.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Advanced Taster

THH 2012... O.o. I know I know... But I'm sitting on a few already.. I'm more interested in collecting all the antique expressions at the moment!

also passed up 3x staggjr's and multiple OFBB

i passed on a PVW 20yr $999 and a VWb $250.... I can't stand price gougers..

ive been making the circuit of stores all week.. Lol
    Last edited by KCJason1; 10-23-2013 at 13:29.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by KCJason1 View Post

i passed on a PVW 20yr $999 and a VWb $250.... I can't stand price gougers..

good pass. only a moron with more money than brain cells would buy that. $1000 for a 750, of anything?!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    good pass. only a moron with more money than brain cells would buy that. $1000 for a 750, of anything?!
    I'd buy a 750 full of diamonds for a thousand bucks. Beyond that.... I'm with you
    Jim