Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 78 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

ER10 for $89.99. Yeah. The 10 year.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Gotcha. Never searched for bourbon on it.

Even limited production wines are relatively easy to get online. The bourbon and wine games have similarities but supply is a different ballgame. you have 7 or 8 main producers for bourbon vs tens of thousands for wine.

eric, with your years of experience in the business, do you think that the high demand of whiskies right now will encourage new distilleries to open over the next decade....and if so, do you think they will be new companies, or just new distilleries to broaden the availability of the existing brands?

or, do the existing companies just enjoy the high demand/low availability/running at capacity/ higher prices game?

Connoisseur

Passed up a THH & ER17 for $99.99. Also passed on CEHT rye and sour mash......wait for it.......$129.99. I just shook my head and walked out.

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    eric, with your years of experience in the business, do you think that the high demand of whiskies right now will encourage new distilleries to open over the next decade....and if so, do you think they will be new companies, or just new distilleries to broaden the availability of the existing brands?

or, do the existing companies just enjoy the high demand/low availability/running at capacity/ higher prices game?
    There are lots of people entering the bourbon game as startups. The problem they face is that they need income now, not in 5 years when they have a viable bourbon to bottle.

I am surprised none of the big boys have gobbled up a smaller bourbon maker. ie diagio or pernard. I'm guessing they see a bubble in the bourbon business and overpaying is not something they want to do.

In a few years it will be interesting to see how the startups first real bourbons taste. And will they price a 4-6 year product where it should be or in the premium category?

I don't think the big players in Bourbon are that worried about startups. Selling nearly all of the bourbon they produce is the best problem to have.

If I am guessing, there will be a bunch of equipment for sale from current startups in 10 years at "clearance" prices.

Guru

I doubt the big guys are worried, they can make it cheaper, hold it longer, sell it lower, and have enough stock on hand to weather any economic storm.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Said "Thanks but no thanks" to Stagg and Handy at $150 in a store with a friendly owner/manager. It's a spot where I used to pay $59 for the Stagg (before there was a Handy), then $79, then $89. I think the Handy debuted at $79 and stayed there for years, which was a steep but acceptable price for getting tasty, non-MGP rye locally. That said, I am officially not tempted by BTAC at $150. The store got no Weller, Saz 18, or ER17 this year.

I overheard the store owner on the phone with someone -- I'm guessing his distributor? -- while I was in there, and he was really cheesed off. The owner was shouting, "I push your stuff all year and you give me a bottle each of of Stagg and Handy? Why do I bother? What do I tell my customers that spend money here, year-round?" When he got off the phone he told me that Pappy has disappeared from his ordering system (supposedly because of the big theft) and that he's getting two bottles of BTAC this year because the distributor has something like 1500 bottles for all of southern California. Who knows if it's accurate information or not, but man, he was steamed. And he really does push BT products all year. He also said his price for BTAC went up $30 per bottle this year. I was sorry to hear it, but not interested in subsidizing his increased costs.

So I bought a bottle of baby Saz and left.

I left behind an EC18 for $40. At that price I'll go back and get it eventually, but at the time my eyes were drawn to the prizes on the shelf next to the EC18 - a PHC Golden Anniversary and a PHC Cask Strength 122.6 proof.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    I left behind an EC18 for $40. At that price I'll go back and get it eventually, but at the time my eyes were drawn to the prizes on the shelf next to the EC18 - a PHC Golden Anniversary and a PHC Cask Strength 122.6 proof.
    Wow, nice pickups Christopher!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    Amazing finds still on a shelf! Insanely jealous.

Advanced Taster

I passed a Hirsch 20 yr for $90, and a Stagg Jr. for $70. Hadn't seen the Hirsch before, but the Jr. can be had for $50 at store 2 miles away.