Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

EC21 low fill line.jpgEC21 back label.jpgPassed on EC21 today at $140. Has anyone else noticed an issue with quality control on this product? The bottle that I saw had a lousy cork seal, which resulted in obvious leakage from the bottle. You can see in the photos that the fill line was down to the upper shoulders, whereas all the other bottles (in 4 other stores) were all filled up to or above the neck ring/shrink wrap. And on top of that, you can see on the back label that the hand-numbered date is incorrect (5-29-09, which would make it a 4 year old!), but I suspect the year digits got transposed. You can also see a stain on the back label, where the leaked bourbon dribbled down the bottle. I rubbed my thumb across one of the stains (there were several on the exposed glass areas of the bottle, including right down the front of the bottle), and was struck by a strong barrel wood aroma. An easy pass for me.

Advanced Taster

I passed on Stag Jr new to this area $60.

Connoisseur

I saw four different Balcones offerings... all at around $50. These are new to my area; but I passed 'em by.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jonhalter View Post
    I passed on Stag Jr new to this area $60.
    Yeah, the highest that I have seen in the Indy area is $52.99 (my favorite store). I thought that was fair. I guess $60 is not out of line with some markups on other bourbons but I would have passed at $60 also. I do like it though.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
    EC21 low fill line.jpgEC21 back label.jpgPassed on EC21 today at $140. Has anyone else noticed an issue with quality control on this product? The bottle that I saw had a lousy cork seal, which resulted in obvious leakage from the bottle. You can see in the photos that the fill line was down to the upper shoulders, whereas all the other bottles (in 4 other stores) were all filled up to or above the neck ring/shrink wrap. And on top of that, you can see on the back label that the hand-numbered date is incorrect (5-29-09, which would make it a 4 year old!), but I suspect the year digits got transposed. You can also see a stain on the back label, where the leaked bourbon dribbled down the bottle. I rubbed my thumb across one of the stains (there were several on the exposed glass areas of the bottle, including right down the front of the bottle), and was struck by a strong barrel wood aroma. An easy pass for me.
    Wow, interesting. You would think the store would see that and would either discount it, open it for a sample bottle (unlikely) or wipe it off.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    I saw four different Balcones offerings... all at around $50. These are new to my area; but I passed 'em by.
    That's about the right price for Balcones whiskey. You should try their Baby Blue or True Blue 100 for starters. If you like smoke, then Brimstone is a must.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bearmark View Post
    That's about the right price for Balcones whiskey. You should try their Baby Blue or True Blue 100 for starters. If you like smoke, then Brimstone is a must.
    True, you must try the Balcones, different and delightful.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The spice wagon rolls around ever so often offering the next new permanent thing but is a disillusionment in an impermanent world.
    Well said.
    I get enough spice by adding a good bitters. I know whiskey is made for profit but this kind of release is kind of insulting in its cash grabbing forwardness, but on the other hand if it makes WT enough money to release a GOOD new whiskey im all for it.

Advanced Taster

Seems like Va is getting in Q4 products. Passed on WT Unforgiven and Spiced today, as well as EC21 at $160 . Also there was some ridiculous Manhattan bourbon (rye?) with the Empire State Building on top of the bottles?! It must have been almost 20 inches.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Wow, interesting. You would think the store would see that and would either discount it, open it for a sample bottle (unlikely) or wipe it off.
    Sample bottle...now that's my kind of store!!!!