Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 49 of 78 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Same here. Just freaking unbelievable the increase from last year to the present. Last year, the most I paid was $75 for GTS & the lowest was $63 for THH. I was expecting $10 increase this year at the most...but +$25-60??? I think the primary market looked at the secondary & decided "we can get it".
    manufacturers are doing a disservice to their customers and their own bottom line if they sell a product that gets flipped in the retail market, it means it is underpriced. to be fair, sazerac has minimally increased the actual price, selling it well under "real" market value, only encouraging flipping, hoarding, etc. The best thing they could do right now would be to increase the price on all of the BTAC and Pappy by like 10x. They'd make lots of money and pop the bubble right quick. Look at concerts, its the same way, when artists price their tickets artificially low so "the masses" can see them at a reasonable price, it really only raises the price and increases the profits of secondary sellers.

I didn't say it would be good for us, but that's bourbon in 2013.

Enthusiast

now, in an even stupider post than my previous I reveal that I passed on a 2013 william la rue weller. at basically msrp. then i tell you that in my defense i'm a new dad who doesn't have much money and has too much bourbon, including a 2-oz sample of 2008 william la rue weller which is probably much better than the current and will last me a month or so at the mosquito-like rate i drink

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by suntour View Post
    now, in an even stupider post than my previous I reveal that I passed on a 2013 william la rue weller. at basically msrp. then i tell you that in my defense i'm a new dad who doesn't have much money and has too much bourbon, including a 2-oz sample of 2008 william la rue weller which is probably much better than the current and will last me a month or so at the mosquito-like rate i drink
    Always gotta stay within your means. Not like there aren't enjoyable bourbons available for less money than a bottle of WLW.

Virtuoso

Lord, yes.

I walked past a couple bottles of SW Pappy 20 and Rittenhouse 21 (all at MSRP) for a couple years because they weren't in my budget. Long gone now, but I'm not going to shed any tears over it, that's for sure.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Virtuoso

Last week, I also passed on 2x GTS at $199. We had a discussion on what the price should be and he said he can give me $15 off so he can still make 10-15%. Yeah ok . . .

He had three THH for $99 as well.
    No thanks at this point.

I am willing to pay more for convenience but this is not reasonable, at least for me.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlam92 View Post
    Last week, I also passed on 2x GTS at $199. We had a discussion on what the price should be and he said he can give me $15 off so he can still make 10-15%. Yeah ok . . .

He had three THH for $99 as well.
    No thanks at this point.

I am willing to pay more for convenience but this is not reasonable, at least for me.
    Id probly pay up to a hundred for stagg, Weller, or saz. Wouldn't pay more than retail for the others...

Advanced Taster

Passed on Lock Stock and Barrel at $130 and some Michter's at $90. Couldn't do it after buying a bottle of GTS.

Virtuoso

Found a guy with a LotB for $149, no thanks.

Best regards, Tony

Virtuoso

It hurt....but, had to pass on a couple of HW 21s....just couldn't pull the trigger for $130 x 2....which is probably as good as it'll ever be on that one. (It sure didn't help that they bumped the price up $10 since I was last there on tuesday...but business is business I suppose.)
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 11-22-2013 at 20:45.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    It hurt....but, had to pass on a couple of HW 21s....just couldn't pull the trigger for $130 x 2....which is probably as good as it'll ever be on that one. (It sure didn't help that they bumped the price up $10 since I was last there on tuesday...but business is business I suppose.)
    I passed on one here at that price (well $129.99) as well. $70-$80 would be a buy for me.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel