Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 51 of 78 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 780
  1. #501
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Old Original SW
    Posts
    997

    Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

    Passed on EC21 @ $199.99. The clerk said he would open the glass case if I wanted to take a closer look. I responded, "No, I can see the price tag very clearly".

    Also, passed on ETL in same store @ $41.99 and the normal HW lineup, $59 & up.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

  2. #502
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

    Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Make 5 or 6 customers happy and 100s upset.

    These store owner's shoule NEVER tell someone asking about a certain product that they have it, but it is spoken for. They should just say they either didn't get any, or it is already gone. Nothing pisses someone off more (it's happened to me too), to be told that the store has what you're looking for, but you're not allowed to buy it. Just say you're fresh out, or if you really want to make a repeat customer out of them....apologize for not having any but offer a few bucks off something else appealing.

  3. #503
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    232

    Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

    Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    These store owner's shoule NEVER tell someone asking about a certain product that they have it, but it is spoken for. They should just say they either didn't get any, or it is already gone. Nothing pisses someone off more (it's happened to me too), to be told that the store has what you're looking for, but you're not allowed to buy it. Just say you're fresh out, or if you really want to make a repeat customer out of them....apologize for not having any but offer a few bucks off something else appealing.
    Agree with that. Nothing wrong with a lil white lie in this situation.

    You either never got it, or you already sold it.

  4. #504
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Old Original SW
    Posts
    997

    Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

    Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    These store owner's shoule NEVER tell someone asking about a certain product that they have it, but it is spoken for. They should just say they either didn't get any, or it is already gone. Nothing pisses someone off more (it's happened to me too), to be told that the store has what you're looking for, but you're not allowed to buy it. Just say you're fresh out, or if you really want to make a repeat customer out of them....apologize for not having any but offer a few bucks off something else appealing.
    True. I had that happen to me not too long ago on a Scotch sampler gift pack. The guy at this store even went further & retrieved it from the back & put in my hands...then told me it wasn't for sale - that he was holding it for someone else...lol.
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 11-23-2013 at 16:10.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

  5. #505
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    665

    Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

    I'm an admitted bottom-feeder. That is, I buy based on value. Good prices, I stock up; bad prices, I pass (usually). As such, I hold no grudge if a store funnels top-end products to top-end clients. I'd like to get a shot at 'em, but harbor no expectations. I do appreciate candor and honesty, though. I'd like to know what's passing through even if it's out of my reach. ["Uh, how can I get on that Gravy Train, Sir?"]

    I passed on everything today, as usual.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 11-23-2013 at 16:17.

  6. #506
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    True. I had that happen to me not too long ago on a Scotch sampler gift pack. The guy at this store even went further & retrieved it from the back & put in my hands...then told me it wasn't for sale - that he was holding it for someone else...lol.

    I may have 'accidentally' dropped it, had that been me, and said, "good thing it wasn't for sale!"

  7. #507
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    True. I had that happen to me not too long ago on a Scotch sampler gift pack. The guy at this store even went further & retrieved it from the back & put in my hands...then told me it wasn't for sale - that he was holding it for someone else...lol.
    That happened to my son (barely legal drinking age). I had him drop into a liquor store in his college town and ask about BTAC. They didn't have any but went to the back and brought out a bottle of PVW23. Just to show him. They told him that it was spoken for. They also had a VWFRR that they said wasn't spoken for but they wouldn't sell it to him because only the manager was allowed to sell it. He bought some rum.

  8. #508
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

    I passed on several things today. On the high end, I passed on a 375 ml bottle of OWA, 7 year (1984) distilled at SW. It was $149.99. They also had EC21 and a few other higher end stuff but none of it interested me.

    I went to another store and passed on several interesting offerings well. The most notable Smooth Ambler, 10 Year. It was $52.99. I just couldn't get the LDI for that price thoughts out of my head. It was decent but I think there are other offerings that I prefer in that price range and lower. I may end up getting it at some point but not today.

  9. #509
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    10,665

    Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

    Sometimes you just want to grab a bottle of Beam 8 Star and ask when it's going to be on sale.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  10. #510
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,152

    Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

    Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I passed on several things today. On the high end, I passed on a 375 ml bottle of OWA, 7 year (1984) distilled at SW. It was $149.99. They also had EC21 and a few other higher end stuff but none of it interested me.

    I went to another store and passed on several interesting offerings well. The most notable Smooth Ambler, 10 Year. It was $52.99. I just couldn't get the LDI for that price thoughts out of my head. It was decent but I think there are other offerings that I prefer in that price range and lower. I may end up getting it at some point but not today.
    w

    Wow. Did you offer the guy $10 (the actual price) for the OWA?
    Insert TheNovaMan's signature here (___________)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2013
    By DBM in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1488
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 20:10
  2. What Did You Pass Up Today? Fall 2010-Winter/Spring 2011
    By fishnbowljoe in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 321
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 14:20
  3. What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Fall 2011
    By jcg9779 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 503
    Last Post: 12-25-2011, 13:05
  4. What Bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2009
    By hectic1 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 515
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 21:23
  5. What bourbon did you purchase today? (Fall '07)
    By mgilbertva in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 443
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 17:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top