Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 54 of 78 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    and though people tell me that they vary widely, I have to think that Willett shoots for some kind of a profile.
    For WFE, absolutely none...including that the barrels are often out of profile as to who distilled them.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    For WFE, absolutely none...including that the barrels are often out of profile as to who distilled them.
    I remember reading somewhere on here that there were some WFEs floating around that were an experimental wheat mashbill from BT. As the recent WhiskyAdvocate blog points out, BT has a TON of experimental barrels aging. What must they do with the stuff they don't bottle themselves. It's got to go somewhere, and the single barrel program at Willett is probably a good bet.

Disciple

One local retailer, who has SBs, told me that Willett is currently stopping their SB program. He wasn't sure when, or if, they would be restarting it. I had heard or read this somewhere else before.

Advanced Taster

Woulda grabbed the OBSO and left feeling I had the best of the lot and for less $$ than the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    Passed up a store selected FR OBSO 9yr 8mo Barrel Proof at $49.99. First of all, it didn't seem all that compelling as a barrel proof FR being it was only 104 proof. Second, the manager, who had just told me that their BTAC allocation was "spoken for", took another gentleman into the back who walked out with ER17, GTS, THH and Lot B. So if my money wasn't good enough for that, I put down the FR (mind you, I've spent quite a bit of money at this store, whether they know it or not). I did buy two more Ritt BIB DSP 354 for the bunker though, as this store has the best price around on that one.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by kcgumbohead View Post
    Woulda grabbed the OBSO and left feeling I had the best of the lot and for less $$ than the others.

I'm sure I'll pick some up at some point, but it will be around awhile. I did want to research the OBSO a bit anyway, as it is not one of the usual private selections that I see coming around often.

To add to my amusement, they listed the mashbill as 75% corn, 20% rye..., which I knew was wrong as to anything OB. Pointed that out to them separately, but it's still listed incorrectly.

Connoisseur

I have some JW Dant, VOB BiB, and Old Heaven Hill 8 Year in various shopping carts around the web. Can't bring myself to pull the trigger due to shipping costs. One of these days…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    I'm sure I'll pick some up at some point, but it will be around awhile. I did want to research the OBSO a bit anyway, as it is not one of the usual private selections that I see coming around often.

To add to my amusement, they listed the mashbill as 75% corn, 20% rye..., which I knew was wrong as to anything OB. Pointed that out to them separately, but it's still listed incorrectly.
    The GS OBSO I have is all raspberries, plums, strawberries and spice. It is unusual but in the best way, it has a distinct and delicious flavor profile (if you like berries and plums). I hope they at least listed the recipe correctly.

Connoisseur

JPSR21, JPS25, Michter's Celebration, and an opportunity to put my name down for a Pappy lottery, among other things. I told him to give me a call when the BTAC comes in though. The one bottle of VWFRR they got went to a staff member, that's the only VW I want this season, so why bother. More for those that are dying to try it.
    Last edited by Wryguy; 11-26-2013 at 06:55.

Enthusiast

The GS OBSO I have is all raspberries, plums, strawberries and spice. It is unusual but in the best way, it has a distinct and delicious flavor profile (if you like berries and plums). I hope they at least listed the recipe correctly.
    Thank you for the notes on the OBSO. I am sure I'll pick one or more up at some point. And I saw the bottle, and it is definitely OBSO. 9 years and 8 months, 52.2%. The store maybe just got in a little over the heads in listing the mashbill, as it is incorrect and I can't imagine FR fed them that info.

Guru

The OBSO is my favorite thus far (I've never tried an OBSQ or OBSF, at least not as a side-by-side). Very fruity, which I just adore. Wish more stores around here would pick that (mine was a gift, and was bought at TPS). I did a blind sbs tasting with OBSO, OBSK and OBSV all diluted to 100 proof, and could definitely identify the yeast impact. I tend to prefer higher rye content, but I'm anxious to find a nice barrel proof OESO at some point - just to confirm
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins