Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

Just got a call from a place that I've got PVW in the past from. They decided to start selling their allocation. She said the price of the 15 year is $345.55, I laughed and hung up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jkater1 View Post
    Just got a call from a place that I've got PVW in the past from. They decided to start selling their allocation. She said the price of the 15 year is $345.55, I laughed and hung up.

I wonder if they are calling folks because it's been sitting on the shelves unsold at those prices?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by nd2005 View Post
    I wonder if they are calling folks because it's been sitting on the shelves unsold at those prices?
    No, I've been in the store a handful of times since they got their allocation and originally they said they were going to save it for the summer since they get a lot of people from the Chicago area that come into town (small town on Lake Michigan) and they thought they would sell better then. I left my number if they changed their minds. When they called they said they decided to give locals first crack. Geee, thanks, way to reward us for giving you business the other 9 months out of the year. It wasn't the owner that called, if it was I would've said I'll never buy there again.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jkater1 View Post
    Geee, thanks, way to reward us for giving you business the other 9 months out of the year. It wasn't the owner that called, if it was I would've said I'll never buy there again.

These retailers need to know there is consequences to their actions if we are to have hope of returning to normalcy.

Guru

The problem is that there are way too many a-holes that have no problem paying $400 for an $80 bottle of bourbon. I've passed on Stagg at one store for $150 for the past year and every time I mention it to the owner he says "someone will pay it." And he is right.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    The problem is that there are way too many a-holes that have no problem paying $400 for an $80 bottle of bourbon. I've passed on Stagg at one store for $150 for the past year and every time I mention it to the owner he says "someone will pay it." And he is right.

but the smart owner will realize that the extra $200+ he brings in from marking that bottle up will piss off enough loyal regular customers that he will lose far more in the long run than that $200 profit gave him

vote with your wallets, guys

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    but the smart owner will realize that the extra $200+ he brings in from marking that bottle up will piss off enough loyal regular customers that he will lose far more in the long run than that $200 profit gave him

vote with your wallets, guys

.....and make sure he knows you are not shopping there anymore...........

Guru

That doesn't work either because any liquor store owner/manager will tell you that they make their money on Vodka. Despite all of the press bourbon has gotten in the last few years Vodka outsells everything else in most places.

I've even seen the gouging move into the larger retailers this year.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    That doesn't work either because any liquor store owner/manager will tell you that they make their money on Vodka. Despite all of the press bourbon has gotten in the last few years Vodka outsells everything else in most places.

I've even seen the gouging move into the larger retailers this year.
    It's just sad when a small business owner doesn't respect or value his/her local customers.

I have one store that I give 90% of my business to. The only times I don't buy stuff from him are when I pick up a six pack of beer at the grocery store, or when I stop by other shops out of curiosity looking for new/different bourbons. This owner is a decent guy, is more than willing to special order stuff like certain wines, and always charges the state minimum price.

So it would be exceptionally disappointing if next year he tried to charge my $400 for an $80 bottle of bourbon just because "someone will pay it". I'm not a high-roller, but I certainly give him more business than what he would make off of gouging every bottle of van winkle he gets.

Guru

I agree that it's unfortunate. And unfortunately for me I live in a city with many "high-rollers". So, even at stores where they at least know my face (if not my name) they tend to still have that attitude. I complained about this year's Stagg being overpriced at $109 and told the manager (that knows me by name) that it should be ~$80. His reply was that the "upper management said that people would pay it." This was at a pretty large store. I'm sure he sold the bottle later that week to someone who was falling all over themselves to overpay. Yes, we need to "vote with our wallets", but don't expect a positive or apologetic reaction if you tell them you won't shop there. Plus, you may be cutting yourself off to other good bourbons at a good price if you do so.