Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 66 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

Look, the price is the price. If the price is good, pay it. If not, try to negotiate or walk away.

Prices change, it doesn't strike me as unethical when they are raised, nor do I feel unethical when buying below cost. I continue to shop at over-priced retailers because sometimes I find good deals at those establishments. I don't shop much anywhere I don't find good values, but don't think less of the owners and employees at those places.

Wine-searcher lists bargain prices sometimes, too. I've found a few good deals there and I don't even have the premium membership.

[I guess we're having a a similar reaction to the apparent wave of belly-achin']
    Last edited by MauiSon; 12-11-2013 at 12:37.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Wine-searcher has bargain prices sometimes, too. I've found a few good deals there and I don't even have the premium membership.
    I've heard that about wine, but bourbon? I've never seen a "LE" bourbon at retail on that site.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Good point. In my last example I did take the price hike personally since I had been in there less than 24hrs. earlier and the guy clearly remembered me. Since then I have just learned to pass on the overpriced stuff and grab the other things that are very reasonably priced in the same store.
    See, I guess I'm just weird but I think that by buying the "reasonably priced in the same store" stuff there, that I am rewarding bad behaviour.
    I would rather give ALL my business to someone who is "reasonable" on all things all the time.
    Please don't get me wrong. The owner doesn't owe me a thing and can charge whatever he wants. I just choose not to give him a dime of my money.

Guru

I worded that wrong. I have not been back to that particular store (except once) since then. I was referring to stores with overpriced "LE's" in general...which is just about every store around here.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

went on a browsing trip instead of a buying trip today, came across Jeff 21/25 Rye and Jeff 25 bourbon for the first time and also the 3 Wheated BTECs.. at $189 and up for the jeff's and $64.99 each for the BTEC my wallet was not in an experimenting mood.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherCigarGuy View Post
    See, I guess I'm just weird but I think that by buying the "reasonably priced in the same store" stuff there, that I am rewarding bad behaviour.
    I would rather give ALL my business to someone who is "reasonable" on all things all the time.
    Please don't get me wrong. The owner doesn't owe me a thing and can charge whatever he wants. I just choose not to give him a dime of my money.
    I tend to agree. Once I see that a store is gouging, my likelihood of going back is exceptionally low.

Guru

His store his price, my money my choice. There is balance in the Universe.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

I worded that wrong. I have not been back to that particular store (except once) since then. I was referring to stores with overpriced "LE's" in general...which is just about every store around here.
    Hey! No judgements being passed on anyone or anything, here. I just prefer to reward the stores that treat me right. I don't even shop for the
    "lowest" price, either. A buck or two on the everyday stuff is not killing me and I know the "little guy" can't price with the box stores. Guess I'm just a "small business" guy? As long as they are "in the ballpark", I don't mind giving them my business if they don't gouge on the good stuff.
    As stated earlier...........isn't Capitalism GREAT!

Connoisseur

I've heard that about wine, but bourbon? I've never seen a "LE" bourbon at retail on that site.
    Well, last year I bought a PHC Blend of Mashbills at below retail (even including S/H) and recently bought a FRBP Private Selection at $43, courtesy of wine-searcher. Sure, they have more high prices listed - because high prices don't disappear as quickly as bargains.

One of our retailers has a bottle of Vintage Rye 23yo on the shelf at $295. Another has it at $140. I buy more at the 'gouging' retailer because I buy the best deal I can find on any particular item, without regard for the prices on items I'm not buying.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Well, last year I bought a PHC Blend of Mashbills at below retail (even including S/H) and recently bought a FRBP Private Selection at $43, courtesy of wine-searcher. Sure, they have more high prices listed - because high prices don't disappear as quickly as bargains.

One of our retailers has a bottle of Vintage Rye 23yo on the shelf at $295. Another has it at $140. I buy more at the 'gouging' retailer because I buy the best deal I can find on any particular item, without regard for the prices on items I'm not buying.
    I know which stores those are Maui. Funny thing is the store with VR23 at the low price has Hirsch 25 for about $250 while the store with the expensive 23 sold the same bottle of Hirsch for $125 at one time.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.