Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What rye are you drinking Fall 2013

Michter's 10 year. This one tastes so close to my bottle of Hirsch 22 it's uncanny. Sometimes it comes off as a little chalky on the palate.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Michter's 10 year. This one tastes so close to my bottle of Hirsch 22 it's uncanny. Sometimes it comes off as a little chalky on the palate.
    My bottle of 10H-3 tastes suspiciously like Saz18 - momma always said NDPs are like a box of chocolates...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Trey, I have a Hirsch22 that tastes just like a Black Maple Hill Rye 23 I just sampled. A lot of those aged ryes are from the same or similar provenance. Although the common thought is the M10 is the same as the Saz18, and the BMH13 (CoK) while the Hirsch and the older BMH are Medley.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru

Popped open this one tonight:

Very Olde St. Nick NAS Rye (couldn't the word "Straight" anywhere on the label) - 93pf

It's actually very smooth with a bit of rye spice and maple syrup... actually, it finishes a little like an El Dorado 12yr rum - kinda weird actually. It tastes nothing like Ritt or Saz (has more in common w/ the Lot No. 40 '12 I have open) - I think I like it but will need to revisit this one.

Guru

Very Olde St. Nick 18yr Rye - 104.6pf (the word "Straight" does appear on the label)

More rye spice than the NAS VOSN and not overoaked as I've been told... my palate must be off tonight because I get maple syrup and rum in this. Right off the bat I like this rye.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Capping off the ryes tonight with some Willett25 Rye (Gift Shop) - tastes more like the Hirsch Ryes than the VOSN's I had earlier... I get something like children's vitamins? (the stuff that's chalky - like the old Flinstones Children's Vitamins) - not as woody as I thought it'd be but it's pushing the boundary there. It's sweet and spicy with a drying effect to finish.

Thanks much to the generous SB'r who sent me the sample!
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 10-09-2013 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Capping off the ryes tonight with some Willett25 Rye (Gift Shop) - tastes more like the Hirsch Ryes than the VOSN's I had earlier... I get something like children's vitamins? (the stuff that's chalky - like the old Flinstones Children's Vitamins) - not as woody as I thought it'd be but it's pushing the boundary there. It's sweet and spicy with a drying effect to finish.

Thanks much to the generous SB'r who sent me the sample!
    I had a similar experience when I tried a bottle of Vintage 23 rye awhile back. It immediately tasted like those awful candy necklaces, super chalky and corn syrup sugary. I'm convinced that apart from that amazing Hirsch 22 Compliance let me try that rye over 15+ years is a very risky thing....not counting Saz 18, of course

A couple small nips of AE rye and Michters 10

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    I had a similar experience when I tried a bottle of Vintage 23 rye awhile back. It immediately tasted like those awful candy necklaces, super chalky and corn syrup sugary. I'm convinced that apart from that amazing Hirsch 22 Compliance let me try that rye over 15+ years is a very risky thing....not counting Saz 18, of course
    Oh, there's some great ryes over 15yrs for me (the Hirsch22 being one of them). But my palate is finicky and certain notes that are pronounced on one night may be subdued on another visit.

I'll revisit this Willett25 Rye again to give it a fair shake :-)

Disciple

Russell Reserve and this bottle will be empty before the sun sets.