Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 33 of 72 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What rye are you drinking Fall 2013

Shared a few small pours of the WFE 4 yr with friends yesterday. They wanted to try the rye before we ventured to a football game, but didn't seem to care for it much. Oh well, more for me...

One that note, I think I'll have a pour.

Guru

Saz18'12 - this is a killer pour
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

^Man, I love that stuff.^

Tonight I cracked open a Masterson's Batch 3 I found. Actually didn't know which batch it was as it was in a sealed box, but the price was right so I grabbed it.
    It's a nice pour. On the nose it's sweet and inviting. The palate gets that initially very odd kind of bitter greens flavor, described elsewhere as tumeric or mustard. I definitely get the mustard greens, almost overwhelmingly. Nice little finish, but nothing epic. At first I thought the odd flavor was going to make me dislike it, but after a few sips it grew on me and added to the complexity I thought. This will be one I enjoy coming back to. I may even pick up another batch to compare it to, I've heard good things about the 5.

Moved on to Jefferson10yr batch 76, which is a super easy drinker but didn't hit any notes worth mentioning after the Mastersons.

Moved further on to a Hi-time selected Jefferson10yr, sans batch number, which I am currently enjoying very much and disappointed I didn't buy a couple more as it was a great price. Sweet and spicy in all the right places, nice pleasantly long round rye finish.

only question is, what's next?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    ^Man, I love that stuff.^

Tonight I cracked open a Masterson's Batch 3 I found. Actually didn't know which batch it was as it was in a sealed box, but the price was right so I grabbed it.
    It's a nice pour. On the nose it's sweet and inviting. The palate gets that initially very odd kind of bitter greens flavor, described elsewhere as tumeric or mustard. I definitely get the mustard greens, almost overwhelmingly. Nice little finish, but nothing epic. At first I thought the odd flavor was going to make me dislike it, but after a few sips it grew on me and added to the complexity I thought. This will be one I enjoy coming back to. I may even pick up another batch to compare it to, I've heard good things about the 5.

Moved on to Jefferson10yr batch 76, which is a super easy drinker but didn't hit any notes worth mentioning after the Mastersons.

Moved further on to a Hi-time selected Jefferson10yr, sans batch number, which I am currently enjoying very much and disappointed I didn't buy a couple more as it was a great price. Sweet and spicy in all the right places, nice pleasantly long round rye finish.

only question is, what's next?
    The Batch 3 I opened recently didn't have any of the opening bitterness you noted that I could find. It made the Boss Hog taste like overpriced Masterson's!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

What Rye are you drinking Winter 2013/2014?

Kicking off the new thread with some Saz18'12.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Re: What Rye are you drinking Winter 2013/2014?

Hit something new for the last two nights, Lot 40.

I have to admit, this one is a funny for being a 100% rye, very unlike others on the market that I have had. The rye is much more muted, but still very much there.

The nose is confusing knowing what the product is, in a blind sample, I would almost think I would confuse it for brandy, either a grape or apple, its super fruity and sweet. Hits that way in the tasting too, but the rye comes through all this. Medium bodied, nice bit of viscosity in the mouth, velvety almost.

Decently medium length finish, very, very drinkable.

The fruit in this completely baffles me, way more than other ryes I've every had. As I drank this, I kept thinking that with a lot of age on this, this could have the potential to be something like the Hirsch ryes, super dark, syrupy, woody-in the good way, and have the sweeter balance to bring it all together in harmony.

I only hope that they pack some of these away for a long time, this is a pretty killer rye in my taste book.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Guru

Yes, brandy, that's it exactly. Not a dry cognac, rather a fruity, sweeter, floral style, due in no small part by being the product of a single pot still. The original Lot 40 from 20 years ago was the creation of Master Distiller Mike Booth using a formula that had been in his family for 7 generations. It is in fact named for a parcel of land, lot 40, owned by his ancestor Joshua Booth. Though now retired Mr. Booth was consulted on this new Lot 40 expression.

This is not the same as the Alberta sourced Whistlepig, Mastersons, et al, rather it's the creation of Hiram Walker/Corby using their own 100% rye recipe. There are those who say Lot 40 is not a robust dram like the U.S. styles, well of course not nor is it intended to be. Veal isn't steak but both have their adherents. I like it.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Good comparison. Having had the other all rye Canadian variants, I can say I'm not the biggest fan of them.

But this, I could drink everyday without issue. This will be bunkered away for many rainy days ahead.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Trippah and Admin

Threads merged...it's not Winter yet in this (or any) hemisphere.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    This is not the same as the Alberta sourced Whistlepig, Mastersons, et al, rather it's the creation of Hiram Walker/Corby using their own 100% rye recipe. There are those who say Lot 40 is not a robust dram like the U.S. styles, well of course not nor is it intended to be.
    I'm not sure how much difference it makes to the taste but I've been told that ~10% of the rye used is malted. Second, the aging occurs in used cooperage (there may be some new wood in the mix), so it will be less "robust" than American straight ryes that come out of new wood.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire