Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 36 of 72 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Last night had some LS&B 13y. It's a good pour but I want be buying another at that price. I got a VW Rye this year and have it opened up also. What a rye. It's amazing when something is done right.

Guru

After a mingle of OGD 114/HWDR, decided to go for the HWDR straight. Really has grown on me
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Sazarac Jr....last bottle in my possession about 1/2 full now...need to get a few before they do the annual disappearing act for many a month in the coming year.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Taster

Sampled some Catskill Provisions New York Honey whiskey. This product is contract produced by Finger Lakes Distilling for a local honey and honey product producer. Basically, Finger Lakes Distilling adds the local honey to their standard rye whiskey (although I suspect a younger rye since it burns a bit even at 80 proof). The marketing material had this great line from Tom McKenzie: “We took some of our very best rye, combined it with lovely, flowery honey to produce a slightly sweet, spicy drink. Good for what ails you. This stuff is the bees knees. That is if bees drank rye.” Funny stuff.

As a bourbon/rye purist, I wanted to hate this stuff, but it's actually pretty solid. I expected this concoction to smell overly sweet and honeyed, but the standard FLD rye nose burst from the glass instead. Tasting the honey whiskey, fresh, spicy rye grain dominates with the honey hiding around the edges and providing a hint of sweetness. I wouldn't call this stuff sweet, by the way. Best part about this stuff is the long lingering finish of real honey flavor (if you've ever had fresh honey-comb honey, like that)--lasts for a good five minutes.

I could see this product as a potential gateway for non-whiskey drinkers, unlike that flavored crap from big brands that bares little resemblance to whiskey. I also appreciate they used rye whiskey, which makes for a truly bold profile (and, again, a bit hot but manageable). I think, overall, Tom and his crew did a great job on this stuff.

Guru

Getting low on this bottle of Willett 24 Rye (# 446, 47%)

¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Some James E Pepper Rye (NAS stuff), which I'm so glad I bought. Just a tasty pour!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

HW Rendezvous. Love this stuff. Went through the first half of this with a quickness then put it away for a while. It's now back on top of on the bar, don't think it'll last long.
    Definitely drink it...tonight -Sutton

Taster

Enjoying a heavy pour if last year's THH. Getting down to the bottom of the bottle but still tasting great. At only 6 years I just don't see why they don't release more of the stuff. I guess it wouldn't be so popular if it was easy to find.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by dreasoner View Post
    Enjoying a heavy pour if last year's THH. Getting down to the bottom of the bottle but still tasting great. At only 6 years I just don't see why they don't release more of the stuff. I guess it wouldn't be so popular if it was easy to find.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Not an age issue but total supply. They are releasing more of it but watered down and bottled as Baby Saz.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru

What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Not an age issue but total supply. They are releasing more of it but watered down and bottled as Baby Saz.
    It's also my understanding that older versions are also being blended into VWFRR and waiting in the wings to take over for Saz18.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof