Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 45 of 72 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Saz18 and a tiny bit more Rathskeller. Saz is a classic but not fair to drink one after the other. The Rath taunts and laughs heartily at the Saz and my sample is almost gone.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Luther, did you notice a difference in the the three you tasted or have a memory of a favorite among them?
    I seem to remember the Rathskeller being a bit more woody and bold than the other two, and the Iron Fist being slightly lighter. I'd really have to do SBS to have a conclusive opinion though.

Guru

Side by side, I prefer the Willett 24 Rye (110pf) to the Rathskeller
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

How do the Willett and Rath compare to VWFRR Johnny (or anyone else)?
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

Thomas H Handy tonight. I really, really like this stuff. Lucky for me it's the least appreciated of the BTAC bottles.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    How do the Willett and Rath compare to VWFRR Johnny (or anyone else)?
    Joe, not a direct answer but I bet the Willett and Rath would blow away the VVFRR due to the proof. Unless you diluted them to the VW's level. We did a tasting several months ago with a Hirsch 22, BMH 23, VWRye, Willett-Doug/Neal and Willett-Doug Green ink. The last two stood head and shoulders over the others and we decided it was due to the barrel strength more than anything because the ages were close. Just wasn't a fair comparison. Kind of like my post above w the Saz18v the Rath.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru

Thanks Dusty. The reason I ask is because I'm not really a big rye fan. I've had Ritt BIB and it seems like it's better suited as a mixer as opposed to a sipper. However, I got a bottle of VWFRR this year because it was offered to me and I had not tried it. I was very surprised that I really enjoyed it. I've also tried Saz18 at a tasting and didn't care for it. So, I guess I'm just curious to see how you rye lovers think they compare.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Thanks Dusty. The reason I ask is because I'm not really a big rye fan. I've had Ritt BIB and it seems like it's better suited as a mixer as opposed to a sipper. However, I got a bottle of VWFRR this year because it was offered to me and I had not tried it. I was very surprised that I really enjoyed it. I've also tried Saz18 at a tasting and didn't care for it. So, I guess I'm just curious to see how you rye lovers think they compare.
    In comparison to all but the Hall of Fame ryes from KBD, the VWFRR may be the best there is. You were wise to grab it and give it a go. Most will say it has a bourbon-like profile. Not as dry and wood forward as some of the other older ryes. I'm guessing that's what turned you off the Saz18. VW rye is a unicorn and as an enthusiast you will be happy to recall the opportunity you had to sample it. Even if ryes aren't your thing.

Virtuoso

image.jpg
    Snowed in= SBS blind tasting rye day! Three heavyweights in the 90+ proof weightclass. Numbered Glencairns the whole bit. Will post my craptastic tasting notes in the tasting forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

I'm having WTRR with my football tonight. Hope it helps me clear my head and throat!