Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What rye are you drinking Fall 2013

Having some HW 16 while watching the World Series.

Connoisseur

Baby Saz, tasty stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Rittenhouse Rye... Love this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

Saz18. Scored two new bottles today so now I can stop nursing the one I've had since last year. mighty fine.

Advanced Taster

I'm drinking a freshly-purchased bottle of baby Saz. It's the first one I've bought in at least four years. I stayed away because with the exception of some unique bottlings from Binny's or TPS, baby Saz had an off-putting, vegetal flavor. Plus, I remembered it tasting an awful lot like bourbon. But, it'd been a long time and since I'm not bothering to chase the BTACs or any other limited stuff this season, I figured I'd give it a shot.

And I've been very happily surprised. The grassy funk is gone and although it still isn't the rye-iest rye I've ever encountered (maybe that's a function of age?), it's definitely tasty. It's a big step up from the LDI/MGP stuff I've been drinking lately, as well as the E.H. Taylor Rye that cost twice as much. I guess I just like a little corn in my rye. It cost me $32 and for a moment I balked, remembering that it used to cost me about $26. But I'm enjoying it more than the $72 Taylor or the $40 Willett that are open alongside it, so suddenly $32 doesn't seem out of line. If my local store has any more available, I have a feeling I'll be going back for more when this one's empty.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    I'm drinking a freshly-purchased bottle of baby Saz. It's the first one I've bought in at least four years. I stayed away because with the exception of some unique bottlings from Binny's or TPS, baby Saz had an off-putting, vegetal flavor. Plus, I remembered it tasting an awful lot like bourbon. But, it'd been a long time and since I'm not bothering to chase the BTACs or any other limited stuff this season, I figured I'd give it a shot.

And I've been very happily surprised. The grassy funk is gone and although it still isn't the rye-iest rye I've ever encountered (maybe that's a function of age?), it's definitely tasty. It's a big step up from the LDI/MGP stuff I've been drinking lately, as well as the E.H. Taylor Rye that cost twice as much. I guess I just like a little corn in my rye. It cost me $32 and for a moment I balked, remembering that it used to cost me about $26. But I'm enjoying it more than the $72 Taylor or the $40 Willett that are open alongside it, so suddenly $32 doesn't seem out of line. If my local store has any more available, I have a feeling I'll be going back for more when this one's empty.
    The baby Saz works nicely in Manhattans. I had been using Willet 4 yr 110 proof and Old Scout 99 proof. They were too strong. The 90 proof and the baby Saz flavor profile makes a very good Manhattan.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    The baby Saz works nicely in Manhattans. I had been using Willet 4 yr 110 proof and Old Scout 99 proof. They were too strong. The 90 proof and the baby Saz flavor profile makes a very good Manhattan.
    CL, I totally agree with you that the barrel proof Willett is a bit much in a cocktail. The baby Saz is a step up. I finally took the plunge and laid out the money for a jar of Luxardo cherries (painful but worth it). Between the baby Saz, a Luxardo cherry and a few splashes of orange bitters, it made for a hell of a Manhattan. Are you using Angostura bitters in yours? They've been my go-to but these Fee Brothers orange bitters have me reconsidering. Non-traditional but tasty.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    CL, I totally agree with you that the barrel proof Willett is a bit much in a cocktail. The baby Saz is a step up. I finally took the plunge and laid out the money for a jar of Luxardo cherries (painful but worth it). Between the baby Saz, a Luxardo cherry and a few splashes of orange bitters, it made for a hell of a Manhattan. Are you using Angostura bitters in yours? They've been my go-to but these Fee Brothers orange bitters have me reconsidering. Non-traditional but tasty.
    I just bought the Griottines cherries. Very painful price as well. Got yelled at by the wife! But, they are dang good cherries.

I use different bitters. Yesterday someone gave me the Woodford whiskey barrel aged cherry bitters. Very nice.

I also have Berg & Hauk aromatic bitters (non-potable version), Angostura aromatic bitters, Regan orange bitters, Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged aromatic bitters.

The B&H are really strong. Don't use them much. Angostura is nice. Regan is good for a soft touch or going half and half with Angostura. Haven't made up my mind about the Fee Brothers. The Woodford cherry bitters have a soft touch like the Regan orange bitters, but with a little more taste.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Enthusiast

Having a pour of THH 2013. This time I'm sure it's the 2013 vintage, no mistakes tonight!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by KySalesRep View Post
    Having a pour of THH 2013. This time I'm sure it's the 2013 vintage, no mistakes tonight!
    That got a chuckle or two... Enjoy it in good health dude
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof