Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What rye are you drinking Fall 2013

Enjoyed several healthy pours of Jeff10 throughout MNF. That 49ers defense really locked down the Redskins offense!

Connoisseur

Went back to the WFER 4yr tonight. This is a good adolescent rye with a great sweet nose, but my bottle definitely has a strong alcohol burn on the initial taste. To remedy, I added a cube in an attempt to take the edge off it. Not bad, but I think a cube was too much water added. It just took away too much off what is a great (and extremely long) candy/spice bomb explosion of a finish this rye has to offer. My next move will be to add a water, drop by drop, until I find my sweet spot.
    Last edited by Paddy; 11-25-2013 at 21:04.

Enthusiast

Opened a bottle of HW Rendezvous last night. Immediately I remembered why I like this so much. Very full body taste, not overly sweet, smooth easy finish, absolutely no alcohol burn.

Disciple

Nice pour of HW 16. Wish I would have known about this stuff when it was on the market, but thankful for the chance to taste a sample!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

What rye are you drinking Fall 2013

Hahahaha wrong thread, moved
    Last edited by tigerlam92; 11-26-2013 at 17:25.

Connoisseur

Decided to revisit my bottle of VR21 after a conversation about it. This thing is spicy wood bomb. I paid about $120 for this thing a while back and glad I did. I won't be buying the other one on the store shelf however.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Disciple

Started a blind sbs of Jeff 10 (batch 3, NCF) and Jeff 10 (batch 51, appears CF). Unmistakable which is which just looking at them in the glass (so literally closed my eyes and re-shuffled, nosing/tasting with them still closed). Still a no brainer as to which was which The rich, creamy mouthfeel of the NCF version is just incredible. I still really like the new version, and the flavor profile is quite similar - just cleaner and more crisp. Glad I still like the current version, but absolutely will be keeping my eyes open for earlier batch numbers.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Started a blind sbs of Jeff 10 (batch 3, NCF) and Jeff 10 (batch 51, appears CF). Unmistakable which is which just looking at them in the glass (so literally closed my eyes and re-shuffled, nosing/tasting with them still closed). Still a no brainer as to which was which The rich, creamy mouthfeel of the NCF version is just incredible. I still really like the new version, and the flavor profile is quite similar - just cleaner and more crisp. Glad I still like the current version, but absolutely will be keeping my eyes open for earlier batch numbers.
    Thanks for the SBS. I bought a NCF version last week and really like it. I left one on the shelf. I then saw two more on the shelf at another near by but less shopped store today. I had not seen the NCF version until recently. I plan to go back and buy another.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Thanks for the SBS. I bought a NCF version last week and really like it. I left one on the shelf. I then saw two more on the shelf at another near by but less shopped store today. I had not seen the NCF version until recently. I plan to go back and buy another.

What is the Batch #?
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

So my son (yes he's 21) was curious about that bourbon/rye in the liquor cabinet. I figured before he and his buddies dumped the good stuff into the coke I should educate him a bit. We did a wheater/rye bourbon/ and straight rye side by side. After he tried the Jeff10 I sampled, I also poured him a Hirsch 22 as well. As usual youth is wasted on the young. He much preferred the wheater bourbons to anything else. He guessed the Hirsch22 was about 180 proof and made of wood shavings. So there you go.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel