Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Re: What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Opened a HW21 for the first time, interesting stuff. It is very much like a muted HW16, which I guess is to be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

Did a nice little blind rye lineup tonight. Jefferson 10 yr, Baby Saz, Rittenhouse, and FRSB for 100%, high, barely legal, and high rye bourbon respectively.

I knew the four, but was able to pick out each one so cheers to that.

In order of preference I chose Jeff10 with Rittenhouse close behind and FRSB/Saz being close to a tie for 3rd, maybe FRSB getting a slight nod for better mouthfeel and better finish.

Still have to get to know this Jefferson but its mighty fine, I like the Baby Saz a lot but up against the Jefferson it falls flat. A little sweeter on the front thats nice but the more intense taste and finish of the Jefferson beats it hands down for me.

As usual for me Rittenhouse shines as best buy at roughly half the price of the others

Guru

Interesting lineup!

Is Baby Saz really that much higher the Rittenhouse? I don't think the Baby Saz/THH/Saz 18 mashbill is known definitively (at least it is not in the whiskey tree and it is not known to me!) but my impression was that if it is more than 51% rye it is only a little more (mid 50's?). Is there a rye made with a rye content around 75%? Perhaps CEHT rye is a useful comparison as I believe it is speculated (but not known?) to be around 90%.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...l=1#post298878

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Did a nice little blind rye lineup tonight. Jefferson 10 yr, Baby Saz, Rittenhouse, and FRSB for 100%, high, barely legal, and high rye bourbon respectively.

I knew the four, but was able to pick out each one so cheers to that.

In order of preference I chose Jeff10 with Rittenhouse close behind and FRSB/Saz being close to a tie for 3rd, maybe FRSB getting a slight nod for better mouthfeel and better finish.

Still have to get to know this Jefferson but its mighty fine, I like the Baby Saz a lot but up against the Jefferson it falls flat. A little sweeter on the front thats nice but the more intense taste and finish of the Jefferson beats it hands down for me.

As usual for me Rittenhouse shines as best buy at roughly half the price of the others
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Interesting lineup!

Is Baby Saz really that much higher the Rittenhouse? I don't think the Baby Saz/THH/Saz 18 mashbill is known definitively (at least it is not in the whiskey tree and it is not known to me!) but my impression was that if it is more than 51% rye it is only a little more (mid 50's?). Is there a rye made with a rye content around 75%? Perhaps CEHT rye is a useful comparison as I believe it is speculated (but not known?) to be around 90%.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...l=1#post298878
    You know, I'm not sure on the Saz. From memory I though I'd seen that it was thought to be in the 60s/70s at some point but honestly no idea. Would of course be great to know, from taste it didn't seem too far off from the 100%.

Baby Saz drinks very different from Rittenhouse so I'd think that means a lot less corn in the mash, but maybe not?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    How do the Willett and Rath compare to VWFRR Johnny (or anyone else)?
    It's been almost a year since I've tasted a "C" VWFRR and to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed back then.

I don't have a bottle but may bring samples of the Rath & W24 to a bar to do a SBS.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Disciple

I was pretty cold today after digging the car out so I wanted some rye. I was thinking to myself "what would Paddy drink, if he didn't have WTRR?" Why WFE 4-year, of course! So, I did, and it was excellent!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I was pretty cold today after digging the car out so I wanted some rye. I was thinking to myself "what would Paddy drink, if he didn't have WTRR?" Why WFE 4-year, of course! So, I did, and it was excellent!
    It'll definitely keep your pipes from freezing!

Disciple

Man, I thought my toes would never warm up...one pour of WFE and I was ready to dance!

Virtuoso

VWFRR neat to end an extended weekend thanks to Snownado '14.

Edit: wow! Has this opened up since my recent review. More pronounced nose, lost the shoe polish flavor and the finish has really appeared to lengthen.
    Last edited by Old Dusty; 01-07-2014 at 19:32.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    It's been almost a year since I've tasted a "C" VWFRR and to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed back then.

I don't have a bottle but may bring samples of the Rath & W24 to a bar to do a SBS.
    Don't even bother, the rath and w24 are in a totally different realm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk