Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter '13

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Remember what was said about us asking questions about the contents of those bottles we have to work so hard to chase for the privilege of paying a not insignificant amount:

This pretty much sums up the Van Wonka product marketing:

Remember? Uh, no...not really. Remind me again tomorrow...Perhaps, you'll make your point eventually...Or, go with the tried and true method...bang your spoon on the table, kick your feet wildly in your high chair, and throw your bowl of mashed peas across the room....
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

I've had a number of different versions of the Willett/LDI rye, 2 year old, 3 year old, 4 year old. They're single barrel, so they're not exactly the same. To me it seems like for this, the individual barrel has more influence than the age. All have been pretty good, but the one that really stood out was a 2 year old barrel from back when I first started to see this on the shelves.

Guru

I'm a believer in the individually of barrels. A good barrel makes good whisky and I think we place far too much emphasis on age alone.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Remember? Uh, no...not really. Remind me again tomorrow...Perhaps, you'll make your point eventually...Or, go with the tried and true method...bang your spoon on the table, kick your feet wildly in your high chair, and throw your bowl of mashed peas across the room....
    Is it mystery rye or Kool-Aid inside of that Van Wonka bottle?

It is interesting that when people become critical of a popular business or product, there are a certain amount of people who rush to the defense of that business/product. This happens even when they know the business may not have their best interests at heart. It gets especially interesting when an argument cannot be made to defend said business, so the ad hominem tactic is used against those that dare be critical. I see the same thing happen on the Apple boards.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-...ationalization
    Last edited by LostBottle; 11-23-2013 at 08:08.

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    It is interesting that when people become critical of a popular business or product, there are a certain amount of people who rush to the defense of that business/product. This happens even when they know the business may not have their best interests at heart. It gets especially interesting when an argument cannot be made to defend said business, so the ad hominem tactic is used instead. I see the same thing happen on the Apple boards.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-...ationalization
    I'm not defending them. But I'll admit, yes, I am using an ad hominem tactic in hopes that it will aid in curbing your incessant whining on the JVW subject.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

How 'bout we get away from thread drift here, and get back on topic. Please. There, I asked nicely.

Thanks for your cooperation. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    How 'bout we get away from thread drift here, and get back on topic. Please. There, I asked nicely.

Thanks for your cooperation. Joe
    You're right. Sorry, my bad.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Disciple

I bought a High West Double Rye. I realize that it is probably not the best liked of their products but I had an opportunity to sample before buying and thought it would be a good addition to my rye bottles. The price seemed right, $32.99.

I recently bought a Jefferson 10 Yr, Canadian, NCF. Both of which I sampled tonight. Initially, I preferred the HW DR. However, I have learned that different things have different appeals on different nights. Both are solid.

I also tried a Bone Snapper Rye. I believe that it is only available in Indiana. LDI juice aged 24 months. Tasted more mature that I would have imagined. I liked it. But, I am not sure whether I will buy a bottle or not. The price was $28.99 and there are other products that I prefer more in that price range or lower. The proof was 108. I tasted it neat and it was good but I think it would be a great mixer.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I bought a High West Double Rye. I realize that it is probably not the best liked of their products but I had an opportunity to sample before buying and thought it would be a good addition to my rye bottles. The price seemed right, $32.99.
    The bottle I currently have open isn't sipable, it's gulpable. Just a terribly smooth Rye.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    The bottle I currently have open isn't sipable, it's gulpable. Just a terribly smooth Rye.
    I like it and look forward to sharing it with a few friends who like ryes. It will be a nice addition to our rye tasting in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I will probably focus on a few rye pours tomorrow. I am really starting to like ryes and even enjoy adding a little rye whiskey to bourbon pours to spice them up.