Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter '13

A RITTBIB and a baby Zaz. Was going to pick up a Jeff10 but the price has increased to $39.99 and don't think the value is there compared to what I did buy.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    A RITTBIB and a baby Zaz. Was going to pick up a Jeff10 but the price has increased to $39.99 and don't think the value is there compared to what I did buy.
    I don't know . . . I have all 3 of the ones you mentioned, and the Jeff10 is quickly becoming my favorite. Price in my area is still 35.99.

Disciple

I guess it depends on the normal price. In the Indy area, Jeff10 usually runs between $29.99 and $30.99. RittBIB is in the low $20s and Baby Saz between $30 and $36, if you can find it. I have a Jeff10 NCF (Canadian) and I prefer it over Baby Saz.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    The bottle I currently have open isn't sipable, it's gulpable. Just a terribly smooth Rye.
    Man, you are right! Wow! I have read mix reviews, especially in comparison to Rendevous but opted for it because the price was right. Today was my first time sitting down to a decent pour and I love it! Bought some Jeff10 earlier in the week. They are both great!

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Man, you are right! Wow! I have read mix reviews, especially in comparison to Rendevous but opted for it because the price was right. Today was my first time sitting down to a decent pour and I love it! Bought some Jeff10 earlier in the week. They are both great!
    My tastes have been changing over the last year or two, and I am really coming around to enjoying rye. I love the Jeff 10, as the spicy rye character is there without being overpowering. Ritt BIB is good, though very bourbony as others have said, and I have a few bunkered since it was under $20. I recently got my first bottle of Baby Saz, and it actually disappointed me. SA Old Scout Rye is so peppery that some days it's not enjoyable. I love HW Campfire, so I'm anxious to try the Double Rye and Rendezvous.
    -Pete

Advanced Taster

Finally stopped into a store I've been meaning to hit, and found a Hirsch 22 rye. Pretty excited to try this one. It seems to have some fans around here.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Kpiz View Post
    Finally stopped into a store I've been meaning to hit, and found a Hirsch 22 rye. Pretty excited to try this one. It seems to have some fans around here.
    Great find. That is a very enjoyable bottle.

Advanced Taster

Picked up a High West Rendezvous today to bring to thanksgiving dinner. My first foray into HW products and am looking forward to sipping and making a few manhattans with it during the turkey day festivities.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jersey12 View Post
    Picked up a High West Rendezvous today to bring to thanksgiving dinner. My first foray into HW products and am looking forward to sipping and making a few manhattans with it during the turkey day festivities.
    I would stick to consuming it pure in a nosing glass if you will. I personally was disapointed by its performance in the sazerac as well as in the manhattan. willett 4yo rye is my 1st pick when it comes to cocktails. rendezvous rye is a perfect sip neat but I think it lacks the power to shine in many cocktails.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ewj View Post
    I would stick to consuming it pure in a nosing glass if you will. I personally was disapointed by its performance in the sazerac as well as in the manhattan. willett 4yo rye is my 1st pick when it comes to cocktails. rendezvous rye is a perfect sip neat but I think it lacks the power to shine in many cocktails.
    Appreciate the advice, especially since I also am a huge fan of the Willett rye in cocktails. I'm sure I'll make at least one manhattan for research sake and let you know what I think.