Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter '13

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    now that's a fair price! Nice score.
    The CEHT Rye is abundant around these parts, but the price tag is a little daunting so I have yet to pull the trigger. Is there any solid information (or fun gossipy speculation) about the mashbill of the CEHT rye? From the tasting notes I would believe that it is a different mashbill than what is used for Baby Saz and THH, or perhaps the same with extra age? I usually do a bit of research before pulling the trigger on a $70 bottle so this is important to me because my curiosity is killing me about this bottle.

As always, sorry if this has been hashed out before. I am new to this part of SB.com (indeed, I did not know it existed until maybe 2 weeks ago). Thanks!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bingstein View Post
    The CEHT Rye is abundant around these parts, but the price tag is a little daunting so I have yet to pull the trigger. Is there any solid information (or fun gossipy speculation) about the mashbill of the CEHT rye? From the tasting notes I would believe that it is a different mashbill than what is used for Baby Saz and THH, or perhaps the same with extra age? I usually do a bit of research before pulling the trigger on a $70 bottle so this is important to me because my curiosity is killing me about this bottle.

As always, sorry if this has been hashed out before. I am new to this part of SB.com (indeed, I did not know it existed until maybe 2 weeks ago). Thanks!
    There are a couple of threads around on the BT rye mashbills, but the Cliff's Notes version is that yes the Taylor rye is its own mashbill separate and distinct from the Baby Saz/THH. I haven't opened mine yet, but the reports are very favorable. Most reviews (check SKU's) put it near the top of the Taylor releases.

Edit: I would likely pad the bunker with another at $70. Like I said upthread it's $89.99 or $99.99 around here now and that's too salty for me.
    Last edited by Old Dusty; 02-05-2014 at 06:35.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru

I'm sure you can find it at a local bar to try before you buy, bing. Liquor Barn may even have it in their tasting cabinet, dunno.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I'm sure you can find it at a local bar to try before you buy, bing. Liquor Barn may even have it in their tasting cabinet, dunno.
    I always forget the LB tasting bar (until it is too late). I might try to seek it out at a local bar assuming they aren't charging an arm and a leg, as they are often apt to do.

Guru

Arcadium used to have it at a reasonable price.

Novice

6 bottles of Willett 4 year at $35 each. I could not resist.

Not looking forward to explaining why I have 10 bottles of it stashed in the closet.

Advanced Taster

Just grabbed a 2013 Thomas H Handy for $79. Cant wait, my 2012 is almost gone and it was amazing.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bingstein View Post
    I always forget the LB tasting bar (until it is too late). I might try to seek it out at a local bar assuming they aren't charging an arm and a leg, as they are often apt to do.
    If you can't find a taste at LB let me know (I've got one just opened) and I can hook you up.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    If you can't find a taste at LB let me know (I've got one just opened) and I can hook you up.
    I appreciate it. I've got plenty open to share, too. We can make an evening of it.

Advanced Taster

Went looking for a bottle of SA Old Scout and when I couldn't get it came home with a SA Rye. Haven't had it. Disappointed and excited at the same time.