Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

Davin de Kergommeaux has just reported in his newsletter that Masterson's has expanded its line with a straight barley and straight wheat release. No further details are given on the mash bill compositions, but you can see images of the new bottles on the Masterson's web site. These should be on the shelves now or very soon. I haven't seen any taste notes yet on the web, but maybe there are some.

A very interesting development and a chance to see what some of the non-rye flavoring whiskeys (or that type at any rate) are like.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 09-25-2013 at 05:24.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

Here are some taste notes, drawn I think from the Masterson's website:

http://thewineandcheeseplace.blogspo...y-whiskey.html

The barley one sounds somewhat similar (as one would expect if the barley is used unmalted) to an Irish whiskey single pot still. All very interesting.

Gary

Disciple

So who could have distilled the wheat whiskey other than Heaven Hill. And the barley? Unfortunately their website also states "Masterson's comes out of the barrel at 125 proof" (which ones-all of them ) and that "our dry yeast helps give Masterson's its unique taste profile" . But, I did still help them sell a couple bottles of their rye one afternoon, when I just happened to be hanging out in a Binny's whiskey aisle (a reoccurring habit ) and chatting with some curious rye folk, as it is good whiskey.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    So who could have distilled the wheat whiskey other than Heaven Hill. And the barley? Unfortunately their website also states "Masterson's comes out of the barrel at 125 proof" (which ones-all of them ) and that "our dry yeast helps give Masterson's its unique taste profile" . But, I did still help them sell a couple bottles of their rye one afternoon, when I just happened to be hanging out in a Binny's whiskey aisle (a reoccurring habit ) and chatting with some curious rye folk, as it is good whiskey.
    As with the Masterson's Rye, these are Canadian Whiskies. The COLAs are below.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13063001000140

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13063001000137

Virtuoso

So given this is NDP, does that mean one of the big guys started distilling this 10+ years ago, couldn't find an internal use for and we'll likely see others coming soon? (Jeffersons, WP, etc.)

Guru

The Canadians have been making flavoring whiskys for a long, long time so who knows what aged products might show up on the shelves.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    As with the Masterson's Rye, these are Canadian Whiskies. The COLAs are below.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13063001000140

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13063001000137

And the government shut down just got personal. I can't see those labels.

Despite that, I'm intrigued. I really appreciate that someone has decided to sell what would otherwise be a flavoring whiskey for unadulterated bottling. I definitely want to try both of them. I enjoy having a well rounded selection of straight whiskies on the shelf so that I can share them with folks who are new to whiskey, and trying to figure out what flavors they do and don't enjoy. That straight barley might be a very nice addition to that set.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jtgraves View Post
    And the government shut down just got personal. I can't see those labels.

Despite that, I'm intrigued. I really appreciate that someone has decided to sell what would otherwise be a flavoring whiskey for unadulterated bottling. I definitely want to try both of them. I enjoy having a well rounded selection of straight whiskies on the shelf so that I can share them with folks who are new to whiskey, and trying to figure out what flavors they do and don't enjoy. That straight barley might be a very nice addition to that set.
    Intrigued as well but something I likely have to try before I buy unless they prove to be a lot less pricey than I expect them to be based on the cost of the Masterson's Rye. Have tried the rye but never gotten around to buying one.

http://www.35maplestreet.com/spirits...arley-whiskey/

http://www.35maplestreet.com/spirits...wheat-whiskey/
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Have tried the rye but never gotten around to buying one.
    The rye is good whisky but no way I'm paying the price being asked by the local liquor monopoly - I might pay $70 but certainly NOT $110.
    I suspect the other two - assuming they become available here - will be price even higher. Plenty of better whisky available for less

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    The rye is good whisky but no way I'm paying the price being asked by the local liquor monopoly - I might pay $70 but certainly NOT $110.
    I suspect the other two - assuming they become available here - will be price even higher. Plenty of better whisky available for less
    I think they are closer to $70 here locally although I haven't priced one in a while. Given its seeming similarity to WhistlePig I never felt the need to pick this one up too.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum