Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,087

    New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

    Davin de Kergommeaux has just reported in his newsletter that Masterson's has expanded its line with a straight barley and straight wheat release. No further details are given on the mash bill compositions, but you can see images of the new bottles on the Masterson's web site. These should be on the shelves now or very soon. I haven't seen any taste notes yet on the web, but maybe there are some.

    A very interesting development and a chance to see what some of the non-rye flavoring whiskeys (or that type at any rate) are like.

    Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 09-25-2013 at 05:24.

  2. #2
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,087

    Re: New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

    Here are some taste notes, drawn I think from the Masterson's website:

    http://thewineandcheeseplace.blogspo...y-whiskey.html

    The barley one sounds somewhat similar (as one would expect if the barley is used unmalted) to an Irish whiskey single pot still. All very interesting.

    Gary

  3. #3
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

    So who could have distilled the wheat whiskey other than Heaven Hill. And the barley? Unfortunately their website also states "Masterson's comes out of the barrel at 125 proof" (which ones-all of them ) and that "our dry yeast helps give Masterson's its unique taste profile" . But, I did still help them sell a couple bottles of their rye one afternoon, when I just happened to be hanging out in a Binny's whiskey aisle (a reoccurring habit ) and chatting with some curious rye folk, as it is good whiskey.
    Thad

    BTOTY-2011

  4. #4
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,175

    Re: New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

    Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    So who could have distilled the wheat whiskey other than Heaven Hill. And the barley? Unfortunately their website also states "Masterson's comes out of the barrel at 125 proof" (which ones-all of them ) and that "our dry yeast helps give Masterson's its unique taste profile" . But, I did still help them sell a couple bottles of their rye one afternoon, when I just happened to be hanging out in a Binny's whiskey aisle (a reoccurring habit ) and chatting with some curious rye folk, as it is good whiskey.
    As with the Masterson's Rye, these are Canadian Whiskies. The COLAs are below.

    https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13063001000140

    https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13063001000137

  5. #5
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisville, ky
    Posts
    1,183

    Re: New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

    So given this is NDP, does that mean one of the big guys started distilling this 10+ years ago, couldn't find an internal use for and we'll likely see others coming soon? (Jeffersons, WP, etc.)

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,157

    Re: New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

    The Canadians have been making flavoring whiskys for a long, long time so who knows what aged products might show up on the shelves.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  7. #7
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,087

    Re: New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

    What Thad said, well done Bruce.

    Would like to see your side-by-side of the two respectively with Bernheim Wheat and Green Spot.

    Gary

  8. #8
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    234

    Re: New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

    I got a chance to taste these this week. I like the Masterson's Rye - I did not like either the Wheat or the Barley which surprised me. I found the Wheat to have a rubbing alcohol smell and the Barley wasn't interesting at all - kind of weak and boring. Maybe the bottles were off but they were brand new. This is one of those situations where a few dollars spent on a flight in a bar more than paid for itself in the savings realized by not buying a bottle.

  9. #9
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,576

    Re: New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyRI View Post
    I got a chance to taste these this week. I like the Masterson's Rye - I did not like either the Wheat or the Barley which surprised me. I found the Wheat to have a rubbing alcohol smell and the Barley wasn't interesting at all - kind of weak and boring. Maybe the bottles were off but they were brand new. This is one of those situations where a few dollars spent on a flight in a bar more than paid for itself in the savings realized by not buying a bottle.
    I liked the Barley well enough. But I did compare it H2H with Green Spot and there really didn't seem to be that much in common side by side. The Green Spot was better, as was the Powers John's Lane Signature Release, but the Barley was decent. Would be even better at about half the cost though.

    Then again, wouldn't everything!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  10. #10
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    111

    Re: New Masterson's Straight Barley and Straight Wheat Whiskeys

    Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    As with the Masterson's Rye, these are Canadian Whiskies. The COLAs are below.

    https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13063001000140

    https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13063001000137

    And the government shut down just got personal. I can't see those labels.

    Despite that, I'm intrigued. I really appreciate that someone has decided to sell what would otherwise be a flavoring whiskey for unadulterated bottling. I definitely want to try both of them. I enjoy having a well rounded selection of straight whiskies on the shelf so that I can share them with folks who are new to whiskey, and trying to figure out what flavors they do and don't enjoy. That straight barley might be a very nice addition to that set.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Bourbons/Whiskeys with No Wheat in the Grain Bill
    By ODaniel in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 18:15
  2. Straight face drinking it straight
    By Drunkonjack in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 16:22
  3. Bernheim Straight Wheat Whiskey opinions?
    By Vange in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-13-2006, 16:49
  4. straight wheat whisky?
    By lexkraai in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-20-2001, 00:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top