Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

The Strange Allure of Pappy Van Winkle

I gave up after awhile. I simply couldn't take it anymore. The inexplicable lust for this brand escapes me. I at one time was one of those lemmings trying his very best to score a bottle, any bottle, with no success whatsoever. Called in favors. Signed up on waiting lists. Showed up on release day. Nothing. You can only take so much. After a time of education and accepting reality, I no longer wanted to get a bottle. The hype is too ridiculous and whiskey hipsters always have more money and sweetheart connections than I do. I moved on and bought Weller bottles. Happy as a clam. Goodbye Pappy, you’re just not as cool as everyone thinks you are.

Then I got a call.

A certain gentleman working at a liquor store about 50 miles away notified me that the Pappy allocation is coming up and I can reserve some bottles from a waiting list I signed up for 20 months earlier. What did I say? Did I take the high road and say “let the rich dentists have their Pappy, I don’t give a damn?” Nope. I said “get me the 15 and the Rye” and hung up the phone with a stupid grin on my face. Spirit was willing, but the flesh so very weak…
    Last edited by callmeox; 09-25-2013 at 10:27. Reason: color change

Disciple

Re: The Strange Allure of Pappy Van Winkle

Black on black, is impossible for me to read. Any chance you can change that?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Just left click and hold, then drag over the post. It will highelite it.

Apprentice

I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

Virtuoso

You got something against dentists? My grand-pappy-in-law was a dentist.

You're doing it right. If you can claim your bottles from the couch, you have nothing to be ashamed about. Let go all desire, and your prayers will be answered.

Just don't let them gouge you too much.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

You are right about the inexplicable desire for Pappy (aka expensive BT whiskey). You did very well by choosing the rye, that one is special.

Quote Originally Posted by SWC View Post
    I gave up after awhile. I simply couldn't take it anymore. The inexplicable lust for this brand escapes me. I at one time was one of those lemmings trying his very best to score a bottle, any bottle, with no success whatsoever. Called in favors. Signed up on waiting lists. Showed up on release day. Nothing. You can only take so much. After a time of education and accepting reality, I no longer wanted to get a bottle. The hype is too ridiculous and whiskey hipsters always have more money and sweetheart connections than I do. I moved on and bought Weller bottles. Happy as a clam. Goodbye Pappy, you’re just not as cool as everyone thinks you are.

Then I got a call.

A certain gentleman working at a liquor store about 50 miles away notified me that the Pappy allocation is coming up and I can reserve some bottles from a waiting list I signed up for 20 months earlier. What did I say? Did I take the high road and say “let the rich dentists have their Pappy, I don’t give a damn?” Nope. I said “get me the 15 and the Rye” and hung up the phone with a stupid grin on my face. Spirit was willing, but the flesh so very weak…
    You have the rest of your life to "walk the talk" Pappy comes but once a year.
    PAUL

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Looks like Ox fixed this one but shameless plug anyway: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...-Color-Remover

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    You are right about the inexplicable desire for Pappy (aka expensive BT whiskey). You did very well by choosing the rye, that one is special.
    I certainly won't go to the extreme of buying these on the gray market, but whether they were distilled at S-W or Bernheim or BT, there are pretty much no other sources at this point for >12 year old wheaters. The retail price isn't out of line compared to other premium releases (OK, the retail price of Lot B is pretty wack.)

The hoopla over VW bourbons, though... ridiculous.
    Jim

Hoopla or no hoopla. It is good.

I hope you succeed! Thought I'd read that distributors won't even know their fall allocation until Oct. 1 this year.