Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: EH Taylor

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Clearwater
    Posts
    311

    EH Taylor

    Thoughts on the barrel proof 134 and the Rye?
    Whose juice is it?

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,203

    Re: EH Taylor

    Buffalo Trace. The bourbon is the same recipe as Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Stagg, Benchmark, etc. The rye is a different recipe from Sazerac Rye, I don't recall the difference off hand but do a search and it should come up.

    To answer the question, I haven't had the CHT barrel proof, but I have had the rye and I like it. Expensive for what it is, but tasty.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  3. #3
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    A pretty great state.
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: EH Taylor

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Buffalo Trace. The bourbon is the same recipe as Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Stagg, Benchmark, etc. The rye is a different recipe from Sazerac Rye, I don't recall the difference off hand but do a search and it should come up.

    To answer the question, I haven't had the CHT barrel proof, but I have had the rye and I like it. Expensive for what it is, but tasty.
    I think it's an 80% rye mashbill. I probably learned that from a dude named Josh.
    Jim

  4. #4
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Clearwater
    Posts
    311

    Re: EH Taylor

    Sounds like the barrel proof is going to be an adventure to try to break down? I, like the
    rest of you, will try to find the sweet spot!
    Let the games begin!

  5. #5
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: EH Taylor

    Didn't realize there were so many. All I have so far is the rye and I like it. Now a new challenge of buying them all and comparing side by side.

  6. #6
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,535

    Re: EH Taylor

    Loved Sour Mash, thought Tornado was okay, single barrel was meh.

    What really strikes be about CEHT, is that just like Stagg Jr., BT has figured out the surge in premium Bourbon, so they're using fancy packaging/marketing to pass off $20-$30 Bourbon for $50 and up. I feel that any new "premium" labels that BT puts out going forward will be even bigger rip-offs.

    They understand the market better than all the other majors, IMHO, and they're taking advantage of that. I'm not blaming them for making a buck, but think about this: If the BTAC didn't already exist, and it was being launched tomorrow, the suggested retail would be $150, and they'd probably sell out, except for Handy, which always hangs around.

  7. #7
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,124

    Re: EH Taylor

    Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Loved Sour Mash, thought Tornado was okay, single barrel was meh.

    What really strikes be about CEHT, is that just like Stagg Jr., BT has figured out the surge in premium Bourbon, so they're using fancy packaging/marketing to pass off $20-$30 Bourbon for $50 and up. I feel that any new "premium" labels that BT puts out going forward will be even bigger rip-offs.

    They understand the market better than all the other majors, IMHO, and they're taking advantage of that. I'm not blaming them for making a buck, but think about this: If the BTAC didn't already exist, and it was being launched tomorrow, the suggested retail would be $150, and they'd probably sell out, except for Handy, which always hangs around.
    WD, I think your premise that BT understands the market is spot on. They do seem to be very good business people. Which hopefully will result in them staying around for many years to come.

    Barrel Proof, 9 yr old whiskey for $20-$30? 50 bucks seems reasonable for that...
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  8. #8
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,535

    Re: EH Taylor

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    WD, I think your premise that BT understands the market is spot on. They do seem to be very good business people. Which hopefully will result in them staying around for many years to come.

    Barrel Proof, 9 yr old whiskey for $20-$30? 50 bucks seems reasonable for that...
    I hear you on that, Joe. At the end of the day, I'm just a typically cheap-ass Wisconsinite, who wants BT flavor profile at HH prices. (That's no knock on HH flavor, just pointing out that HH over-delivers on price, whereas with BT I have to pay for it.)

  9. #9
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,203

    Re: EH Taylor

    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I think it's an 80% rye mashbill. I probably learned that from a dude named Josh.
    I dunno about that guy's information. Doesn't seem reliable to me.

    And for the record, I like the Small Batch a lot. I haven't had the Single Barrel or the Barrel Proof though.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    2,433

    Re: EH Taylor

    Barrel Proof I thought was unimpressive and overpriced (at $70; I prefer Bookers over this one every time). Tornado was pretty great stuff. I thought the rye was decent, but perhaps too pricey for my palate. Obviously, YMMV
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. E. H. Taylor rye?
    By CorvallisCracker in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 09:25
  2. What is EH Taylor?
    By sku in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 13:28
  3. Old Taylor - how old?
    By Gillman in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 04:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top