Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Post-Prohibition NYC Whiskey Window Shopping

ChapG posted this in the Malt Maniacs group today and it's worth repeating here...

http://www.shorpy.com/node/15779

Washington, D.C., circa 1934. "Leon's Delicatessen, 1131 14th Street NW. Window display of whiskey." Courtesy of Leon Slavin (1893-1975), who, according to his obituary, "obtained the first off-sale retail liquor license in Washington after the repeal of Prohibition." 8x10 negative by Theodor Horydczak.
    Link to picture:

http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/SHORPY_5a49026u.jpg

Notable highlights include the Ryes (Four Roses, Globetrotters, Paul Jones) on the far-left of the picture & the sheer number of Seagrams on display.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Re: Post-Prohibition NYC Whiskey Window Shopping

Apologies for the error in the thread title, but it should say Washington DC & not NYC.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Awesome picture!! I can only imagine what that stuff tasted like
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

I'd like to see Four Roses resurrect that rye! =]b

Guru

What's more interesting to me is Paul Jones (a real Person) owned the Four Roses distillery in 1934 and the Rye whisky in those bottles was made by the A. P. Stitzel distillery which was owned by Pappy Van Winkle.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    What's more interesting to me is Paul Jones (a real Person) owned the Four Roses distillery in 1934 and the Rye whisky in those bottles was made by the A. P. Stitzel distillery which was owned by Pappy Van Winkle.
    I thought somebody said Stitzel never made rye? Could be totally mistaken though - fascinating info Squire!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I thought somebody said Stitzel never made rye? Could be totally mistaken though - fascinating info Squire!
    Squire, or someone here, should be able to elaborate more, but I'm pretty sure they did either in small quantanties or for a short period of time (or both.)

Neat picture Johnny.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 08-05-2013 at 19:25.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Enthusiast

Wow. That is cool. Thanks for sharing.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Great picture with amazing period detail. Many brands are still available today, e.g. Four Roses, Seagram 7 Crown, Old Taylor, Pinch scotch, Ron Carioca (rum), Fleischmann Gin, etc. Note the blend of straight whiskeys in the bottom row, bottled with the store's name, Leon. He had a straight rye bottled for his store, too.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at other pictures on the site and most are stunning especially when you magnify them to full monitor size. There are a couple of saloon interiors where it's like you are standing at the bar and can see absinthe or Old Crow bottles except it's 1902 or something.

Funny thing is, a lot has changed but a lot hasn't. There are parts of Toronto that look very similar still to the buildings shown in these 100 year old + pictures. There was a pawn shop I saw whose equivalent is on Church Street in this city just north of King Street downtown. Even the liquor store display window is similar to many on the avenues in NYC east of Lexington, say. Or you'll see a depiction of a bell to show a phone booth and many here grew up with those signs. We still have light poles with electric wires almost exactly like in many of these pics. We could have been them...

Gary

Guru

Yes, Stitzel made rye, Wellers Malt Rye, Hollis Pure Rye, also rye recipe Bourbons, corn whisky, blended whisky as well as Weller Dry Gin, Peach, Apple and Grape Brandy under their own labels. Weller also made contract whisky and a number of private label brands.

A lot of these labels are beautifully reproduced in Sally Van Winkle Campbell's book, "Always Fine Bourbon", which is a history of her Grandfather, Pappy Van Winkle and the story of Old Fitzgerald.