Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Bastille 1789

Enthusiast

Bastille 1789

Had the opportunity to try this French "Hand Crafted Whiskey" this evening. States that it is "Handmade and Finished in French Limousin Oak Casks". The attached tag states "Bastille 1789 is produced from barley and wheat from northeast France and water from Gensac Spring. Distillation takes place in alembic pot stills. The resulting whisky is aged for 5-to-7 years in a combination of Limousin oak, cherry wood and Acacia casks."

Light, sweet, no finish. Somewhat unremarkable ... not bad, just unremarkable ...

Anyone else tried it? Comments?

BTW ... how does on hand make whiskey? ... really nice bottle though ...
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Virtuoso

Bastille 1789

Tried it. Aged in 5-10 gallon barrels. Lots of color. Not much on taste. 80 proofer iirc
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Enthusiast

Re: Bastille 1789

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Tried it. Aged in 5-10 gallon barrels. Lots of color. Not much on taste. 80 proofer iirc
    ... probably not exclusively from the wood.

Guru

The French have great artistic flair but elan escapes them when it comes to Bourbon.

Virtuoso

Picked this up on sale for $23 recently. I had a bottle of Brenne (another French whiskey that popped up in the USA market this year), enjoyed it as a great "chilling after mowing the lawn" whiskey as it's very sweet and reminded me of Angel's Envy. Expected this to be different, and it is:

Nose:
    - Light wheat, fresh made toast, and really not much else

Mouthfeel:
    - Kind of syrupy

Taste:
    - Raspberry jam, grass, smoke

Finish:
    - Almost none, all i get is burnt toast taste in my mouth after.

At $23, glad i tried but don't expect i'd get it again. Just reminds me to much of a young Islay and that it's worth paying a little more for something that's been better aged.

Guru

Somehow I get this uneasy feeling the French are throwing their leftovers in the still and calling what runs out whisky.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Somehow I get this uneasy feeling the French are throwing their leftovers in the still and calling what runs out whisky.
    Bonjour, you cheese eating surrender monkeys!
    Jim

Taster

A friend bought a bottle of this and really enjoyed it. I tried it and was surprised to find it was pretty unique. For about 20 bucks I would encourage anyone interested in the nuance of whiskey (and why are you here if you're not) to give it a try.

Virtuoso

I did not care for it. A fellow taster commented that it reminded him of Drambuie, and while an esoteric comparison I could see the similarity when prompted. Definitely light, but a little sharp and sweet before waving the white flag and retreating. More spirit than whiskey to me.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I did not care for it. A fellow taster commented that it reminded him of Drambuie, and while an esoteric comparison I could see the similarity when prompted. Definitely light, but a little sharp and sweet before waving the white flag and retreating. More spirit than whiskey to me.
    We have a couple of mutual friends that love this stuff ... I'll draw an analogy ... Some like mild cigars, others like fuller bodied in-your-face sticks ...
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd