Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

GOOD whiskey for cocktails?

Without starting a discussion on what the folks round here consider is a "good" whiskey Im keen to hear what you use in your cocktails. Most recipes call for a "good" bourbon or rye, or whatever. Good is subjective but does anyone here use their favourite for cocktails? Do you think its a waste of your favourite stuff when you add sugar and bitters etc?
    I usually use whatever is my highest proof for cocktails as most cocktails I have are made for a change from neat whiskey and I dont enjoy my drink being diluted too much with melting ice.

Connoisseur

Re: GOOD whiskey for cocktails?

Rittenhouse is pretty widely acknowledged as an excellent mixing rye. Sometimes I'll use Baby Saz.

For a bourbon I vary it more. BT, EWSB, OWA, OGB114, and FR1B are switched around depending on the proof and amount of rye spice I want in the finished product.

All of these are $30 USD or less where I'm from, so you might have to be more discerning based on your local prices. I've dabbled with using high end whiskeys for cocktails, but they can get lost in the mix. An old fashioned is the perfect cocktail to hold back a bit on the bitters/sugar and let the base spirit shine through.

Connoisseur

It may seem strange, but despite not caring to drink Knob Creek straight, it is one of my favorite cocktail bourbons. I would probably never have tried it, if not for a persistent bartender at Gary Danko's that convinced me that his special cocktail would not be the same if not made with KC. I tried it and loved it and have since tried other cocktails with KC and enjoyed them.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    It may seem strange, but despite not caring to drink Knob Creek straight, it is one of my favorite cocktail bourbons. I would probably never have tried it, if not for a persistent bartender at Gary Danko's that convinced me that his special cocktail would not be the same if not made with KC. I tried it and loved it and have since tried other cocktails with KC and enjoyed them.
    I completely agree.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

As for ryes both RittBIB and GDR are excellent in cocktails.

Guru

To answer the question, yes, I do, always have, as I'm not one to let things sit around waiting for a future moment. The time to enjoy the good stuff is right now in however form suits my mood.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Cheers to you Squire!

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Ive had a bottle of ORVW107 that ive held onto for a while that I never much enjoyed, but yesterday it made probably the best old fashioned I have ever had, and I would normally consider myself a high rye guy.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    To answer the question, yes, I do, always have, as I'm not one to let things sit around waiting for a future moment. The time to enjoy the good stuff is right now in however form suits my mood.
    Really agree with Squire here, if I'm in the mood I'll mix whatever I have with whatever I want. Actually what is best neet is also best mixed.

Connoisseur

TomH, I agree, the Knob Creek profile does very well in cocktails. If you don't want to feel bad about the cost, grab a bottle of the costco Kirkland 7 year bourbon. Same profile, 2 less years, but the wood balances well in the cocktails. At 19.99 a L, no need to feel bad about mixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    Ive had a bottle of ORVW107 that ive held onto for a while that I never much enjoyed, but yesterday it made probably the best old fashioned I have ever had, and I would normally consider myself a high rye guy.
    I experimented with ORVW 10/107 in old fashions and I agree, it makes a great Old Fashioned. The last bottle I had, half of it probably wound up in Old Fashioned. I've tried several wheaters hoping to replicate to no avail. One day I'll get bored and make a Sazerac with Saz 18.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

Man what I would do for a bottle of saz18!
    How about using an original bottle of sazerac de forge cognac from the mid 1800s? Just need a spare $10k or so but wow, I would die a happy man! Its just cool to know that bottles still exist.