Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ardbeg Ardbog

Apprentice

Ardbeg Ardbog

ardbog.jpg

Just posted our review of Ardbeg's Committee release: Ardbog. It's good, peaty and has some nice spice, but it isn't the revelation that Ardbeg Alligator was or the phenomenal combination of spirit that Rollercoaster was. Not sure if this is going to ultimately be a wide release like Alligator was or if it's just a committee release like Ardbeg Day.

The price on these special releases keeps going up. It's up well over $100 now.
    Geoff Kleinman, Editor - Drink Spirits

Connoisseur

Re: Ardbeg Ardbog

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkSpirits View Post
    ardbog.jpg

Just posted our review of Ardbeg's Committee release: Ardbog. It's good, peaty and has some nice spice, but it isn't the revelation that Ardbeg Alligator was or the phenomenal combination of spirit that Rollercoaster was. Not sure if this is going to ultimately be a wide release like Alligator was or if it's just a committee release like Ardbeg Day.

The price on these special releases keeps going up. It's up well over $100 now.
    It's only $67 in Montgomery County, Maryland, but that's still too much, given the NAS and a same-ol' same-ol' gimmick with sherry finishing. Why the heck can't they simply release an older Ardbeg, age stated, without all that crap?

Enthusiast

They don't really have any old stock. I doubt there's many casks left from pre 1997

But I wish they did the same as well - maybe they enough stock to bottle a 15yo cask strength soon

Steffen

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by macdeffe View Post
    They don't really have any old stock. I doubt there's many casks left from pre 1997

But I wish they did the same as well - maybe they enough stock to bottle a 15yo cask strength soon

Steffen
    Steffen, have you had the "old" Ardbeg 10s, like from the late '90s to 2003 or so? I know there's a bit of a cult following concerning bottling codes, based on rumors that the older bottles had much older stock in them. I didn't like the Beist all that much - muted peat, limited nuance - but older peaters can take on nice characteristics.

Enthusiast

I was queuing for the first bottles in 1999 :-)

The had no production 1983-1989, thats why they waited until 1999 for releasing the 10yo. They released a 17yo around 1997 when Glenmorangie took over. I know the production was irregular between 89 and 97 but I don't know about any age variation for the 10, but I will not be surprised if there were some. The age variation was more evident for the 17yo (a 17yo bottled in 2002 must have been distilled before 1983 and was older than the label said)

There was also age variation on the Beist that had a vintage 1990 and was bottled through 2006-2008.

Personally I don't think there is a big differences (but there is differences) between the 10 from 1999 onwards. I know plenty of people that do and some think the quality has changed as well, but I don't agree on that as well. But there are people out there who drink a lot more 10 than me

I think there is a lot of difference in the 17yo range. Some of the lesser peated Kildaton Ardbeg was used in these so that should explain that. I also think the Beist and the 17yo are world apart and I do agree on your assesment of the Beist. My personal theory, which is just my theory and I have no support for it what so ever, is that more tired casks was used in the period around 1990. One thing is sure, I don't think the Ardbegs from the 90s match those from the 70s and 80s. Time will tell if 97+ Ardbeg will. I reckon we get an idea when it get around 20+ yo

Here's a good webpage for Ardbegnerds ardbegproject.com

Steffen

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    It's only $67 in Montgomery County, Maryland, but that's still too much, given the NAS and a same-ol' same-ol' gimmick with sherry finishing. Why the heck can't they simply release an older Ardbeg, age stated, without all that crap?
    Where you saw it for $67, do they ship?

Guru

Another review out today:

http://whiskyisrael.co.il/2013/05/28...tasting-notes/

I think I'll be going to the Ardbeg Day festivities in Seattle before laying out the ca$h on a bottle though.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Its around 85 here, sweet, peat, boozy enough for me too, I dig it a lot!
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Connoisseur

Man oh man the reviews on this one are mixed. I think I'm going to take a pass, especially after the Galileo - fool me once...

Virtuoso

I attended Chicago's event last night. I was very impressed with the presentation; the location was all class, and in addition to the tasting glasses we sat down to, waiters passed cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. I don't remember what they were calling them, but I had a tasty, refreshing drink made with Ardbeg 10yo, lime juice, Gosling's ginger beer and finished with a healthy dose of bitters. It tided me over while I waited for their little presentation to begin.

The 10yo, Corry, Uigie and 'Bog were laid out in front of us, and it was nice to be able to taste them all against each other.

The hosts brought a few special 375ml bottles. One was Alligator, which is very unlike the sweeter Uigie and 'Bog, and one that I really like, I was reminded. The other bottle being poured contained whisky distilled in 1974 drawn from a single cask. It was around 49% and when I asked the host when it was bottled, he said it hadn't been. I noticed a date on the label of 3/3/11, so either that's the date the bottle was filled from the cask, which would make the whisky 37 years old, or it was filled more recently, making it more like 39 years old. Either way, according to the host, it was the oldest whisky they had.

It was very sweet, all heavy vanilla frosting up front. There was only a slight earthy funk on the back end, much like the hops in an IPA that is well beyond its fresh date. It was tasty but fell a little flat, and I wished I had a proper glass to get a good nose of it because the glasses they provided did not afford the pleasure.

Ardbog itself? I don't know. I'm not sold. The manzanilla influence is nice, but syrupy sweet, and I was missing the proper dirty peat to balance it out. Admittedly, Day grew on me over the course of my bottle, and by the end I was lamenting not having more of it, so this makes me lean towards picking up a bottle of this, especially at the seeming low price of $90 around here.

By the way, the host mentioned that 35% of the 'Bog's contents were aged in manzanilla casks for 10-12 years. I don't know how old the other 65% is.

A local high-end tobacco shop hosted an unofficial CigArdbog after-party, so my buddy and I made the trek in the torrential downpour and booming thunder. I didn't get home all that late, but I'm feeling it a bit this morning. I'm pretty sure it's more the cigars than the whisky.

Samples.jpgCigArdbog.jpg
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--