Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Transitioning from Bourbon to Scotch?

For me there is no real transition, it's all in what I feel like that night. I rarely ever have a bourbon and a scotch in the same night, same with the Canadians or Irish whisk(e)ys, they all have their own characteristics. If I'm looking for that sweetness, in a cocktail, on the rocks, or neat, then the bourbons come out, slightly more often than the scotches in the summer. If I'm looking for something to sip over a long period of time enjoying the complexity then I reach for a scotch, slightly more often in the winter. Scotch itself has so many different styles that it's hard to even lump it into one category. My best scotch drinking buddy is a huge fan of the sherry bombs, my wife likes the peat, and I like the sweeter drams, though we all enjoy the entire range from time to time.

All that being said, if you struggled through the scotch you had, and if you try more and continue to struggle, why bother? Whisk(e)y, especially scotch, is faaaaar too expensive to force on yourself if you just really don't care for it. Drink what you like!

Guru

I am a bourbon lover and I have found that The Balvenie scotch suits me very well. I had a large pour of it the other night while reading, and I enjoyed every sip. Mine is the 15 year old single barrel.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I am a bourbon lover and I have found that The Balvenie scotch suits me very well. I had a large pour of it the other night while reading, and I enjoyed every sip. Mine is the 15 year old single barrel.

Tim
    That 15 year balvenie is one of my favorite whiskeys period, I just wish it was easier to find at a decent price.

Virtuoso

They're certainly not readily available here in the states, nor are they affordable when compared to the great bourbon options we have, but really old grain whiskies from Scotland would have a lot to offer the bourbon palate. I've shared a 48 year old single grain whisky with several friends and it's been pretty universally appreciated.

Taster

If you can't get through Glenfiddich, I wouldn't bother going any further, frankly. Those are some good whiskies. If it was simply your palate being unaccustomed to S cotch, and you are willing to develop it, try Glenlivet 15 French Oak or Chivas Regal 18yr old, Macallan 12 might be interesting to you. There really isn't a transitionary whisky that can bridge a gap between bourbon and scotch, they are too different. You either dive in or stay on the ledge, taking a few pulls from your Wild Turkey, content with life. Good luck, sir! I'd mention a few Islay bottles but you might cry if you tried them.

Enthusiast

Some times you need to jump off into the deep end....

Go to bar and order Glenlivet 12. Then order Macallan 12. Then order Highland Park 18. And then order Laphroaig 10. If you don't notice the difference, I would wonder if you have taste buds or not.

They are virtually polar opposites of each other that you would soon realize that scotch has one thing that bourbon doesn't have: diversity.

You all on here (well me too) talk about which bourbon is better but its all the same shit and it is all good no matter what someone says on here.

But scotch...that stuff is for the adventurer. And some places won't find a fondness for your heart as much as another pour will.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post

you would soon realize that scotch has one thing that bourbon doesn't have: diversity.

You all on here (well me too) talk about which bourbon is better but its all the same shit and it is all good no matter what someone says on here.
    Things are about to get bloody. (grabs some popcorn)

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SWC View Post
    Things are about to get bloody. (grabs some popcorn)
    Yeah, no kidding. The idea that a wheater and rye bourbon taste alike is pretty funny. There are some similar characteristics in bourbons, more so than say an Islay vs a Speyside, but the flavors are still very different.

Virtuoso

Devil's advocate, but...it's largely a true statement, or at least a statement motivated by the facts. The US government definition of "bourbon" and specifically "straight bourbon" is a double edged sword that establishes a very high level of consistent quality, but not much variation relative to other spirits. There's certainly no two straight bourbons you could point to and arrive at a dissimilarity as significant as, say Caol Ila 12 year and Balvenie 12 year. Or Glenfiddich 18 and Talisker 18. Or Lagavulin 16 and Longmorn 16. And on and on.

But before everyone gets their panties twisted up in a bunch, remember that there's also no scottish equivalent to the value and absolute quality of even the most modestly priced straight bourbons. You want a Scotch whisky equivalent to HH6 and EW BIB? VOB BIB? Hell, even Elmer T Lee, Rare Breed, etc. etc.? It's just not there.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Devil's advocate, but...it's largely a true statement, or at least a statement motivated by the facts. The US government definition of "bourbon" and specifically "straight bourbon" is a double edged sword that establishes a very high level of consistent quality, but not much variation relative to other spirits. There's certainly no two straight bourbons you could point to and arrive at a dissimilarity as significant as, say Caol Ila 12 year and Balvenie 12 year. Or Glenfiddich 18 and Talisker 18. Or Lagavulin 16 and Longmorn 16. And on and on.

But before everyone gets their panties twisted up in a bunch, remember that there's also no scottish equivalent to the value and absolute quality of even the most modestly priced straight bourbons. You want a Scotch whisky equivalent to HH6 and EW BIB? VOB BIB? Hell, even Elmer T Lee, Rare Breed, etc. etc.? It's just not there.
    Thanks Yeti. I am trying to remain objective. Bourbon just doesn't have the diversity that scotch has. With that said, bourbon is still my favorite spirit and the reason being your last statement. Scotch can never compete with bourbon in QPR. When dealing with the most rational considerations, at least in America, bourbon is a no brainer.