Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Party Source Shipping

Not happy bout this, not at all. Just recently I found out about TPS, shipping and their PS bottles. I was drawing up a good sized 4R purchase. Glad they chimed in to explain, just too bad it happened at all.

Connoisseur

Yes, I too wish I had splurged on a FRPS binge, along with a few other strays, but my TPS purchases have been much appreciated and I hope to continue that, albeit on a more restricted basis in the future. Thanks, Jay!

Advanced Taster

I am certainly happy to hear about the purchase online and pick up in store. I am fortunate enough to live fairly close.

Connoisseur

Well it was certainly helpful while it lasted. Thanks Jay for the update. I am lucky to live fairly close and have a friend who drives past there on occasion to pick up ordered items for me. Still a bummer.

Apprentice

It's a shame that things like this are met with a shrug of the shoulders from most consumers. The laws governing alcohol are ridiculous, from state-run monopolies to the anti-competitive three-tier system. I think it's fantastic that places like TPS (and there are a few others) stick their neck out to serve their willing customers.

Guru

Well, just guessing but I'd say it was more about serving their bank account than customers, but I will agree that the laws are ridiculous. I wish all KY stores were able to ship, and I wish that I could order from out of state. Doubt that either is going to change anytime soon, tough.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by rcb4d View Post
    It's a shame that things like this are met with a shrug of the shoulders from most consumers. The laws governing alcohol are ridiculous, from state-run monopolies to the anti-competitive three-tier system. I think it's fantastic that places like TPS (and there are a few others) stick their neck out to serve their willing customers.
    Another way of putting is that they made a deliberate decision to violate the law and dare the Commonwealth to do something about it. Believe me, many other spirits retailers have looked at the law and it really is not even arguable that what they were doing was legal. Good for business and out of state customers? Sure. But legal? Not a chance. Did it ever occur to anyone why NO OTHER STORE in Kentucky was doing what TPS was. When Eric opened his store in Elizabethtown, he and I took a good hard look at the law and what TPS was doing, because if it was remotely legal, it would have a no-brainer to have an online multi-state store operation. We decided it was not worth the risk of losing a license, because the language was clear. Retailers simply cannot ship spirits in or out of this state.

TPS took a calculated gamble which paid off for awhile. If they had contested the law and lost, they almost surely would have lost their license (thus out of business) plus incurred very high fines. They really had no choice but to fold when confronted, which is what they did. I wish the law in Kentucky would permit what TPS was doing. It would mean more business for everyone, and it would be good for consumers because everyone would be in the game, not just TPS.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Well, just guessing but I'd say it was more about serving their bank account than customers
    It was a mutually beneficial relationship. They are no more self-serving than any other business enterprise.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Erisman View Post
    Hello StraightBourbon.com,
    Our website and e-commerce will continue to function in full effect (and coming soon, we'll have an option to have items packed for shipping).
    This is interesting. So maybe TPS can pack the items and I can have a courier of my choice go pick them up there? Hmm...

Guru

Not sure how that would work, as its illegal to ship booze out of KY. Maybe Jay will expand upon that thought?