Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Party Source Shipping

There are some interesting thoughts on TPS getting out of interstate sales. Some are disappointed due to pending orders being shut down, others are jumping up and down with joy that the law has prevailed. Speaking from just one consumer's viewpoint, I am very disappointed that TPS has stopped shipping. I am a working class guy from Minnesota who loves bourbon that is both tastey and a good value. Several times I ordered reasonably priced bourbons from TPS that are not distributed to MN. Old Charter 10, HH BIB, EW 1783, AAA, VOB BIB. Other than some major interstate travel, I could not get those great value bourbons. TPS's cyber Monday shipping deal allowed me to order a few cases of these bourbons. I am a responsible, hard working adult with a small amount of disposable income that enjoyed getting my hands on these bourbons. Now I can't. That's a shame.

Guru

It is a shame, I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of their competitors who made the complaint.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

i know theres more to the whole thing than this, but.......KY is losing out on a LOT of tax money by not allowing its own retailers to ship out of state. KY is THE main provider of a worldwide demanded item. sell it and tax it, ship it to every state that will allow the importation of alcohol. but that would make too much sense....

but let ALL retailers offer the shipping of alcohol, not just one. level the playing field.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    It is a shame, I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of their competitors who made the complaint.

im sure it is, and can you blame them? why should people who play by the rules (although silly rules) be effectively punished for it?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    but let ALL retailers offer the shipping of alcohol, not just one. level the playing field.
    If NONE of the retailers are allowed to ship then that is a level playing field. A lame, limited playing field, but an even one nonetheless. At least I can still ship KY bourbon and rye from Asia! I think.

Connoisseur

This blows some serious chunks. Hawaii misses out on a lot of bourbon and TPS was my go to for unavailable items. The other sites I found that ship to Hawaii don't have the big selection they did.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Advanced Taster

I've had a couple of large orders from TPS shipped to me, so this news is definitely a bummer. However, as someone who travels to the region every 1 to 2 years, I should be able to take advantage of the forthcoming "packed for shipping" option, as checked baggage on a return flight home. The basic rules for alcohol in checked airline baggage (securely packed with padding/cushion, each bottle placed in a separate air-tight bag) is basically how TPS has packed my previous orders. Sure, it will cut down on how much and how frequently I purchase from TPS, but since they have stuff that I like that is difficult (if next to impossible) to obtain elsewhere, I'll adapt to the situation.

Virtuoso

This is the tyranny of the 3-tiered system and a problem that doesn't seem to be easily solved given the power of the liquor lobby. There have been a number of attempts to fix this, even a Supreme Court decision related to it a few years ago that really changed nothing (basically saying you can't allow intrastate shipping of wine without also allowing interstate shipping).

I think most folks buy what is locally available - it is just so much more convenient, why wouldn't you? Most go online to access what isn't available (because of uneven distribution or no distribution) or specialty bottlings. For retailers who want to ship interstate, I think they should be allowed as long as they collect and pay the taxes to the state they are shipping to - they can place this additional overhead into their pricing, and consumers can then decide whether or not they want to order based on that increased cost, including the shipping. Maybe I look at this too simplistically, but I don't see why it needs to be any more complicated than that (other than wholesalers and distributors now have to compete for the more limited stuff, and why would we want that to happen ...?!?)

I believe there was a recent order now forcing online retailers like Amazon to start collecting state taxes - after allowing them for years to have a leg up on local stores. I guess it didn't become important until even Wal-Mart was having trouble competing with them.
    Mark

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    This is interesting. So maybe TPS can pack the items and I can have a courier of my choice go pick them up there? Hmm...
    Luther.R, in the future, we can offer to pack your items in the same extra heavy duty packing materials we've always used, so that they could be easily transported. For example, a friend of yours could pick them up for you. Or, you could pick them up and check them through as luggage on an airplane.

But to answer your question, no, you could not have a courier come to the store and pick them up.

Connoisseur

Well then, I guess we will just have to tell you that our "friend" will be picking them up. Who wants to be my "friend"?
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.