Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

you guys will never hear another ECBP locating complaint from me again....

The good news.....I finally located som ECBP recently, not only one, but three. Being the nice guy I am, I took only one, and left the others for other seekers. I had a cold at the time, so it sat here for a bit, until my head cleared up.

The bad news.....last night I finally cracked it open and had a nice big gulp and.......swear it is the worst thing I have ever bought. I truly hope I just got a bad bottle, as the reviews and acclaim on here about it is almost unanimous. If it werent sealed around the neck with plastic, Id have sworn someone put bourbon colored paint thinner in it. The nose is wrong, the taste is wrong, the feel is wrong, and the aftertaste makes me reach for anything nearby to rinse my mouth. What a disappointment after searching most of the year for one of these.

Its not the proof thats the problem, my favorites are high proofers (120 KC and 125-130 Bookers). I keep thinking its tainted with something, but it was sealed. Maybe its just not my kinda thing. I also dont like most 4R stuff, but I dont find them repulsive like this, just bland.

has anyone else had an experience like this?

You wont hear me complain anymore about not being able to find any....even if they were priced the same at $10, id grab the HH BIB over this. I cant put my finger on what it is, but its not good in any sense(to me).

now you can tell me that i am nuts and dont know what im talking about...but if this were the only bourbon available, id quit entirely.

Advanced Taster

Re: you guys will never hear another ECBP locating complaint from me again....

No one can tell you your taste buds are wrong. Id say give it a little time to air out, and give it another try in a week or so. If you still think its bad send it to FL for me to try. I cant find it either.

Guru

Go freaking figure.

Guru

OGD114 is another favorite of mine. I always find it needs time to air out before its really good. But even if i crack one open and take a sip right there, it isnt horrid, its just not great.

Guru

I have a feeling that maybe you don't like "over oaked/over aged" bourbon. I personally like woody bourbons and even though it's only 12yr. (which is still pretty old for bourbon) it tastes like a 20yr. + bourbon to me. It has a very oaked, smoky dark chocolate/dark fruit thing going on from what I've tasted, but you don't get that charcoal flavor that Weller 12 has (which I loathe.)

It's been said many times, and I'll say it again, that the "sweet spot" for aging bourbon is around 7-10 years for the most part. Of course there are exceptions - I've had some excellent bourbon from 4-20yrs old.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Enthusiast

I didn't really enjoy mine until 2/3 was gone, so don't give up hope. That last 1/3 was great for me.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Go freaking figure.
    ahaha, this has been a pretty funny board arc

Enthusiast

I really do hope some air time helps the taste for you. I know you have looked high and low for one, it would be a shame if you hated it now that you have it. Give it some time, who knows.

Enthusiast

What batch did you get?

I love the stuff and am rationing out drops from my bottle. Its like bourbon extract. A few drops goes a long way.

Connoisseur

I have heard other people say similar things. Our tastes are very similar so I have not purchased it. I'm sure I will try it some day and see for myself but there are too many other bourbons I currently want to worry about ECBP.
    This happens to me occasionally as I'm sure it does to others. Tastes change and so on. Maybe come back to it in a month or so and see.