Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Best bourbon for brewing beer?

This was one of the questions I was searching when I found this site and well, lets just say I got side tracked by you guys. I've been working on my first four bottles based on names that come up a lot and what I can find here (Old Grand Dad 100, Old Weller 107, Four Roses Single Barrel & Elijah Craig 12) and now it's time to get started on the brewing. I did a search of the site and came across stuff like cask conditioned bourbon brews but nothing on making your own. My ingredient kit came with oak cubes I need to soak in bourbon then add them to the fermenting beer, so I'm looking for suggestions of some of the more flavorful bourbons. This doesn't need to be your favorite, just one with some strong flavor that will add some good character to the beer. Bonus, I get to drink what's left of any new bourbons! Thanks

Disciple

Re: Best bourbon for brewing beer?

What kind of beer is it going to be? A stout?
    Jim

Novice

Guess I should have included that. The kit is Bourbon Barrel Old Ale.

Guru

If you want something strong and woody Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. OGD 114 has a fairly strong rye flavor.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Disciple

Best bourbon for brewing beer?

Of those you have already, I think the Weller and the Four Roses would be good choices. I've used Wild Turkey 101 in a stout before.

Edit to add: I like Joe's suggestion of OGD 114 quite a lot too.
    Jim

Connoisseur

I've aged many homebrews on bourbon soaked oak chips, I've found that any entry-mid level bourbon works fine. It is a tiny % of bourbon in comparison to the volume of beer. Don't waste the beer with rotgut whiskey, don't waste top shelf whiskey on the homebrew. Proof and age are somewhat irrelevant. I've had good luck with BT and AAA.

Enthusiast

For whatever it's worth, my brother-in-law is into home brewing, and he and his buddies make a bourbon beer. They actually dump half a bottle of Maker's Mark into the beer at some point in the process (sorry, I don't know much about home brewing) and claims to enjoy the results. I've never had it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    I've aged many homebrews on bourbon soaked oak chips, I've found that any entry-mid level bourbon works fine. It is a tiny % of bourbon in comparison to the volume of beer. Don't waste the beer with rotgut whiskey, don't waste top shelf whiskey on the homebrew. Proof and age are somewhat irrelevant. I've had good luck with BT and AAA.
    I've made Porter with bourbon and chips of bourbon barrel staves (available at brewing shops). You're right about the high ratio of beer to bourbon. The beer does taste bourbony but you would need a really subtle palate to tell what kind of bourbon. So, I'll take my OGD 114 neat in a Glencairn and put EW Black in the Porter.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Novice

Don't add the chips/cubes/spirals/etc during fermentation! Once you rack it off the yeast and put it in secondary add them then. Also, I recommend VOB 100, cheap and flavorful, should work well with the toffee/sweet malt character of an old ale.

Enthusiast

A local regional brewery around here has an annual release that is barrel aged. Last years was Weller, this year it was BT . I saw the barrels in their warehouse for these last 2 releases. They told me they have used JD barrels in the past as well. I have only tried the last 2 with the Weller being the winner but both are very good.