Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel Proof?

Enthusiast

Barrel Proof?

Are there any regulations concerning what can be sold as barrel-proof bourbon?

Connoisseur

Re: Barrel Proof?

As long as it's over 80 proof...I don't think there is an upper limit, but I've never seen one reach 150 proof.

Enthusiast

If there are no regulations, could I mix many barrels of varying proof and cut the entire batch to 120 proof and sell it as barrel proof?

Trippah and Admin

If you were Beam and wanted to sell, let's say Knob Creek, at barrel proof...that's what you would do.

Like small batch, barrel proof isn't a regulated term.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by fricky View Post
    If there are no regulations, could I mix many barrels of varying proof and cut the entire batch to 120 proof and sell it as barrel proof?

cutting it with ANY water makes it not barrel proof anymore. if what you mean is, can you take a 108 barrel proofer, and a 142 barrel proofer and mix them 50/50 to make a 'barrel proof' 125 proofer, I guess that technically it is still barrel proof, as no water was added. i assume thats what most of the barrel proof non-single barrel bourbons are: for example, all the ECBP 2nd release was 137 proof. its next to impossible that every single barrel dumped at exactly 137 proof.....they dumped some 135's, some 139's, some.....you get the idea....mixed it all together, measure the proof, and bottle the whole batch and label it appropriately.

beams KC120 is the next thing to barrel proof. I think they said on a tour that it averages 125 proof out of the barrel, they just cut it with just enough water to keep a consistent 120 proof. cheaper to label it that way i imagine.

Disciple

As logical as that sounds, whiskey makers love putting catchy phrases like "barrel proof" on bottles, and if it's not regulated, it doesn't mean a thing.

Consider for example Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Labeled "barrel proof" but clearly water has been added.
    Jim

Virtuoso

I have never heard an insider admit to it, but the folks are right... BP is not a regulated term and there is nothing preventing a company of calling something barrel proof even if it has had water added to it.

I have a feeling that to some people this news will be like learning bourbon can be made outside of Kentucky and Santa Claus is not real.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post

Consider for example Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Labeled "barrel proof" but clearly water has been added.
    Bingo! Same proof now on it's 10th year.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Guys I think what they do is mingle different barrel proofs to average to that number. Wouldn't be hard to do with a bit of math.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Guys I think what they do is mingle different barrel proofs to average to that number. Wouldn't be hard to do with a bit of math.

Gary
    I don't think they have to be exact on the proof. As long as it isn't below the stated number I believe they have a bit of latitude on the high side.