Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel Proof?

Disciple

Re: Barrel Proof?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Guys I think what they do is mingle different barrel proofs to average to that number. Wouldn't be hard to do with a bit of math.

Gary
    I don't think so. For a large bottling batch, while trying to maintain flavor profile, that bit of math turns into a pretty difficult endeavor.
    Jim

Enthusiast

On a similar topic, what about single barrel? Is that term regulated for labeling?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I don't think it would be that hard really. They only have one bourbon mash bill after all. At that proof too, flavour differences are less important. Anyway I could be wrong, certainly.

Chuck might know, maybe he will offer comments.

Gary

This says water isn't added:

http://wildturkeybourbon.com/goods/#

(From Wild Turkey's website, click on the image for Rare Breed).

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    On a similar topic, what about single barrel? Is that term regulated for labeling?
    I don't think that it's technically regulated but given that it's a pretty specific name it would be hard to not be referring to only using a single barrel, otherwise wouldn't that be lying on the label? The other two, small batch and barrel proof, can be fudged since they are relative.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Guys I think what they do is mingle different barrel proofs to average to that number. Wouldn't be hard to do with a bit of math.

Gary
    Yeah, but once you get it out of your head that Barrel Proof is regulated to mean "no water added" a whole new paradigm unfolds. I can't believe that given the option, a company like WT wouldn't want to utilize that flexibility. Sure, it is nice to "try" and get it there just by mingling barrels, but why do that when you can just blend proof and bottle. Plus, in the case of WTRB that has a low proof point, there is not a lot of wiggle room to adjust the proof downward by mingling.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    I don't think they have to be exact on the proof. As long as it isn't below the stated number I believe they have a bit of latitude on the high side.
    You actually have it backwards. There is zero latitude when it comes to over proofing and underproofing, any sample bottle tested by the TTB has to be within 0.2 proof points. When you consider all the variables that go into checking proof, it is actually a pretty strict guideline.

The reason they are so strict with it is because the TTB is all about taxes (it is part of the Treasury Department afterall). They collect taxes based on proof gallons that leave a distillery (how many equivalent gallons if everything was normalized to 100 proof).
    Last edited by kickert; 10-04-2013 at 13:22. Reason: Add information
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

I go by what the website says, I take it at face value unless the statement is shown to be wrong. They don't have to state anything on the topic but they do... Also, I don't see how it is so difficult to get to that proof when they are using, as well, three different ages to make the mingling. They can choose different proofs of any or all of the three different age ranges to make the final adjustment.

Trippah and Admin

So, you think they have the skill to solve for two variables when bottling Rare Breed (both proof and consistent taste)?

I'm skeptical that they have that ability.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

I wouldn't have thought that is a challenge for a company with so much inventory amongst the three age ranges (plus single mash bill), or rather the two that will form the bulk of the contents (i.e., excluding likely the 12). I could be wrong again, but don't see why they would take the trouble to say something on the topic if it wasn't so. Anyway I'm good with it either way: Rare Breed is my favourite expression amongst the WT range!

Gary