Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Proof?

Apprentice

Re: Barrel Proof?

My family and I did the Trail this past weekend and I found it interesting in light of this thread, our tour guide (Bubba - a retired Marine drill instructor) without being asked stated that they've been making Rare Breed for a lot of years and they have it figured out what barrels they need to pour based on their location in the warehouse to make it come out to the 108.2 proof. I think he reads SB.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mhatzung View Post
    My family and I did the Trail this past weekend and I found it interesting in light of this thread, our tour guide (Bubba - a retired Marine drill instructor) without being asked stated that they've been making Rare Breed for a lot of years and they have it figured out what barrels they need to pour based on their location in the warehouse to make it come out to the 108.2 proof. I think he reads SB.
    If they are blending barrels to reach a particular proof and not for taste profile perhaps that says a lot about why the current whiskey doesn't seem to be as well thought of as it used to be.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Could be Bruce but none of WT is as good as it used to be IMO. Recently I had some WT 81 which is apparently 6-8 years old and I thought it was tasting very poorly, corny, rough, no charms at all. 101 is still worthy but is not what it was, IMHO again.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Could be Bruce but none of WT is as good as it used to be IMO. Recently I had some WT 81 which is apparently 6-8 years old and I thought it was tasting very poorly, corny, rough, no charms at all. 101 is still worthy but is not what it was, IMHO again.

Gary
    Yes, it is my sense from board that WT has been in a general decline in the opinion of many SB members of late but I am not a WT drinker so can't say personally.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

I haven't gotten around to romanticizing Wild Turkey, mainly because I can only afford to romanticize so many distilleries and Four Roses vacuums up more than its share of moolah. With that said, I enjoy WT101 just fine and the recent WTKS I had was very tasty as well (probably a little over priced).

On topic, I just read that there's a new 150+ proof dump of CEHTBP. Can anybody verify that? And if so, is it the highest proof release ever?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I haven't gotten around to romanticizing Wild Turkey, mainly because I can only afford to romanticize so many distilleries and Four Roses vacuums up more than its share of moolah. With that said, I enjoy WT101 just fine and the recent WTKS I had was very tasty as well (probably a little over priced).

On topic, I just read that there's a new 150+ proof dump of CEHTBP. Can anybody verify that? And if so, is it the highest proof release ever?

Where'd you read that?
    Mark
    "...that we here highly resolve that these empty bottles shall not have been drunk in vain..."

Enthusiast

i like all the wild turkey stuff i have tried, maybe i just don't know how great it used to be?

Disciple

Haven't bought any WT products in a couple months now. Really miss the WTR101 and my last bottles of WTRB & WT101 were just meh.

Virtuoso

The only 2 people I ever believe are true to their word are whiskeymen and poker players :smile:
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Enthusiast

I generally like most WT stuff and recently compared a bottle of mid 2000s RB with the current juice and to me there seems to be distinctly more wood in the older batch, I need a couple more tastings but the early feeling is that it is that the older stuff is better, bring on the blind tastings..
    Last edited by onemorepour; 10-15-2013 at 01:56. Reason: text colour went wack and black