Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 10/13: Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB

As advertised by HH, "Heaven Hill launched the Henry McKenna Single Barrel line extension in 1994, and to this day it remains the only extra aged (10 years) Bottled-In-Bond Single Barrel Bourbon available."

I haven't had this bourbon in a while, but I do remember it. I bought a bottle right about the time I was finally starting to be able to pick out some of the different flavors people described in bourbons. I was never able to taste the citrus/eucalyptus flavor everyone alluded to in HH bourbons until I bought a bottle of Henry McKenna. I opened my bottle, had a pour, and there it was. The citrus and eucalyptus flavor was unmistakeable. IMHO, I thought it was actually pretty good considering I'm basically a wheater lover, and I don't particularly care much for bourbons with spicy and/or citrus flavors.

So post away. Let's hear it for Henry McKenna BIB.

Cheers. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 10/13: Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB

Henry McKenna SB, BIB is indeed a fairly unique pour for the reasons stated by fisnbowljoe, and I agree that the 'typical' HH profile is easier to pick out in this pour than many of their line brands. I personally, love this one. It's one that I always have at least one bunkered bottle on-hand, besides the open one. I recently bought one with the 'new' label (less pretentious, for sure... probably considerably less expensive to bottle using this label). I was a bit put off by the simpler version; but after opening it up early, to do a side-by-side with some juice from my open bottle (old labeling), I found the juice to be pretty much identical. In fact, I'll even go so far as to say that HMcK, SB, BIB varies least among single barrel offerings from any distillery from bottle to bottle (IMHO). So, whomever does the selection is doing a great job of maintaining the profile. If you havn't tried it, do yourself a favor and grab one up. Drink it slow & straight, and enjoy the lovely nose and complex character.

Virtuoso

I really like this one. Like Joe's experience, the first bottle I bought (a couple years ago) was full of orange and menthol/eucalyptus goodness. I just finished one a couple weeks ago that had a lot less orange and menthol, but was still very good. Reminded me of Elmer T Lee in some ways.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Disciple

One of my go to's, one open on the bar and another in the bunker.

Enthusiast

This is a good one. I have a large rotation but always try to get this one every so often. Always enjoy it when I do.

Connoisseur

I'm a HH fan, and this is one of my favorites. To me it's like the EWSB in many ways, except better because this is 100 proof. If anyone knows where to find this around Indy, please PM me. I have only one left that came fro Louisville. I had bought some in Indy, but that was years ago.

Disciple

I have always enjoyed the HM BIB and found it to be an excellent example of the prominent HH "house style"in one very well rounded bourbon and at around $30 the price ain't all that bad either.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

I don't keep this one around and can't say why, I hope it sells well enough to stay in production.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I don't keep this one around and can't say why, I hope it sells well enough to stay in production.
    Yeah, interestingly I really had to work to find my bottle a week or two back. The place was in the process of replacing the old bottle style with the new. I really like this stuff. A little too expensive in Oregon, like $35. Fun to taste alongside the younger BIBs. I really should sit down tonight and take a few notes on it.

Guru

Frankly, I'm indifferent to the brand being single barrel but do appreciate it being a traditional, straight forward 10 year BIB.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.