Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 4/15: George Dickel No. 12

I know. It's about time I got this months BOTM posted. And it ain't even a bourbon. (per say) I received a couple of suggestions for Dickle No.12, and there are a lot of members who like it, so I thought why not.

Not much from me again this time. I tried it a couple of times and couldn't seem to get a true feel for it. So, I finally bought a bottle. Just not my cup of tea. I can't seem to get past the barium/chalky/Flintstones Vitamin taste. I couldn't even finish my bottle. I've tried it a couple of more times since, and it's still a no go for me. Probably just me and my taste buds. Like I said, there are a lot of folks here that like it.

So, let's here what y'all have to say about Dickel No. 12, our (not) Bourbon Of The Month.

Cheers, and happy posting!

Joe

As a side note, and FWIW, the Tennessee whiskeys still interest me. On my recent vacation to Florida, we had stops at the Jack Daniels and George Dickle distilleries in mind if we had the time. The spring break traffic was terrible, so it didn't work out. We probably would have stopped at both if we'd had an extra day.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 4/15: George Dickel No. 12

I know. Lots of folx love Dickel juice. I do not.
    I've had all of 'em; at least one bottle... Come to think of it I never bought a second bottle of any of 'em.
    Flintstone's vitamins just don't do it for me in a glass of Bourbon (or even Tennessee Whiskey).
    I have come to believe it's a genetic thing... Eitrher you taste that (some call it green apple flavor, I find vitamin pills); or you don't, based on the genetic gifts from your lineage.
    At least that is my belief. Sorry if I've offended those who find it unique and delicious.

Guru

I am one who likes the Dickel 12. So much better than Jack Daniels IMO.
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    I know. Lots of folx love Dickel juice. I do not.
    I've had all of 'em; at least one bottle... Come to think of it I never bought a second bottle of any of 'em.
    Flintstone's vitamins just don't do it for me in a glass of Bourbon (or even Tennessee Whiskey).
    I have come to believe it's a genetic thing... Eitrher you taste that (some call it green apple flavor, I find vitamin pills); or you don't, based on the genetic gifts from your lineage.
    At least that is my belief. Sorry if I've offended those who find it unique and delicious.
    No way I can take offense! Taste is an ultimately personal thing, so even though I like Dickel I am not upset if someone else does not.

Dickel 12 is one of my favorites. (no. 8 is another matter, very forgettable).

I don't get the vitamin taste at all. Instead, I get a solid blast of vanilla and oak, with a lot of sweet corn in the middle. The finish is smooth with hints of maple. A VERY easy drinker, straight or over cubes.

AND I can get it almost everywhere!

As to the age old question "is it bourbon?". I believe it meets the legal definition. I suppose Dickel wishes to remain Tennesee, as a marketing tool if nothing else!

Guru

The only Tn. whiskey! Although I really prefer the 9 yr barrel select.

Advanced Taster

I fell in love with #12 after a distillery trip 2 years ago. To me it the perfect combination of flavor, nose, taste. I often recommend it to others who like whiskey, bourbon, Maker's Jack, Beam, etc. but have not tried Dickel.

Taster

After reading about it here, I was intrigued by the difference of opinion it seems everyone has about this whiskey. A lot of people really enjoy it and some loath it. In the end I bought a bottle to see for myself if it tasted like Flintstones chewable vitamins and I was shocked when the description was spot on. I am on the fence about this particular whiskey.

Enthusiast

I haven't tried this in a while, and this BOTM might inspire me to get another bottle. I remember liking it alot...definitely better than old no. 7, but not as good as JD Single Barrel......but perhaps that isn't fair as the JDSB is almost twice the price. I remember it had a unique cornbread palate note that I thought was cool.

Connoisseur

Just poured some from a bottle I've been slowly working on for almost a year. At first I found the vitamin notes repulsive, but this one's grown on me somewhat. Definitely more interesting than that other famous Tennessee Whiskey.
    Andrew

Connoisseur

Number 12 = OK but not one I seek out and keep on hand or order in restaurants. Number 8 = one I avoid. I just don't like the taste of the No. 8, and the No. 12 fits in a price/proof range that happens to embrace other things I like better. I wish I could like it better as I like variety when indulging in questionable behavior.